[comp.sys.atari.st] HELP! needed with 520STFM RAM Upgrade

charlie@oblio.UUCP (Charlie Richardson) (02/05/89)

Please help with a problem in identifying a couple of parts needed
to upgrade a 520STFM to 1 Meg.

I have a less-than-1-year-old 520STFM which has the board layout for 4
banks of 256K/1 M  chips. This looks to be an easy upgrade (given my patience
and skill in desoldering wave-soldered component holes), but there appear
to be a few more parts (to wit, 3 resistors and 1 14-pin IC, probably a
TTL gate package) I need to complete the upgrade. Their designators are:

U 68  	(14-pin IC)

R 71
R 72	Resistors (probably same as other address line resistors)
R 73

No dealer around has schematics for this motherboard; I can't seem to get
this information. It looks to be the same motherboard as the first 1040's;
it even has a set of solder jumpers marked "256K/1MB" which implies that
1 Megabit chips could be installed to bring it up to either 2 or 4 Meg.
When 1 Mbit DRAM prices drop to $10-12 ( maybe this summer ) this might be
an option. Has anyone performed this upgrade on the 520STFM?

Any information, comments, or pointers would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie Richardson
Acer Counterpoint, Inc.
Voice: (800) 272-8255  (408) 434-0190
UUCP: {daisy, hplabs}!oblio!charlie

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Richard Dankert) (02/06/89)

In article <411@oblio.UUCP> charlie@oblio.UUCP (Charlie Richardson) writes:

	Stuff abouT machine deleted

>and skill in desoldering wave-soldered component holes),
>Any information, comments, or pointers would be sincerely appreciated.

	Here's a tip to make all that work alot easier. Instead of
`de-soldering' all them holes and possible damage to the PCB. go out
and purchase a WAHL re-chargable soldering pen, and the drill that goes
along with it. Get small bits for the drill, and drill the solder out of the
holes. Takes alot less time and effort, and soldering chips/sockets are alot
easier too, Believe me, I know, i'v done it !

>Thanks in advance,

	No problem.....

>Charlie Richardson
>Acer Counterpoint, Inc.