[comp.sys.atari.st] SLM804 woes

sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) (01/17/89)

 .
apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>In article <13403@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>> Atari seems to be *enforcing* their "upgrade policy"
>
>Not necessarily.  Did it occur to you that not using those sockets could
>reduce the price of manufacture? You don't get "power without the price"
>unless you take every cost-cutting measure you can, especially in
>manufacture, where every $0.10 saved per board translates into big
>numbers on the bottom line.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

While I can appreciate the need to cut costs, I think most of use would be
willing to pay $5 extra for ram sockets.  After all, many ( most? ) of us with
520s paid atleast $50 for ram upgrade boards, piggy back soldering.  In this
case ware the only savings is in holes drilled it is almost inconcievable that
we customers would be unwilling to bare the expense.

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!sreeb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!sreeb@nosc.mil
INET: sreeb@pnet01.cts.com

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (01/19/89)

to ALLAN PRATT:
	I have a Mega ST2 which my local dealer will upgrade to the full four
megabytes of memory. I question is:

What is the offical Atari policy about repair/replacment of Mega ST2 which are
sent in for repair and which have four megabytes of memory?? Can I expect to get
back my original Mega ST2 (with my four megs of RAM intact) or will I get back a
Mega ST4, or will I get back a Mega ST2 without the extra 2 megs.

Of course, my local dealer tells me that I would get back a machine with the same
of amount of memory as I sent in, but I seem to remember reading that Atari would
simply send back a stock 2 meg ST. That means that I stand a chance of losing the $500
investment in meory that I am thinking of adding to my stock Mega ST2.

Please post your reply as I am sure that their are other STers out here with the
same concern.

TIA.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/08/89)

In article <40f0b617.14e07@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E.
Covert) writes:

> What is the offical Atari policy about repair/replacment of Mega ST2
> which are sent in for repair and which have four megabytes of memory??
> Can I expect to get back my original Mega ST2 (with my four megs of RAM
> intact) or will I get back a Mega ST4, or will I get back a Mega ST2
> without the extra 2 megs.
>
> TIA.

I don't know.

I don't set or track Atari policy on repairs and exchanges.  Write to

	Atari Corp.
	1196 Borregas Ave.
	Sunnyvale, CA  94086
	USA
	Attn: Randy Hain

and ask him.  I don't know if he's the right guy, but I think so.  He
coordinates dealers for field service and the like.  Your dealer should
know who he is, and should know how to get the answer to your question.
Asking a software engineer is NOT the right way.  (Asking a software
engineer about Atari marketing policy doesn't get you much, either.)

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (02/08/89)

in article <40f0b617.14e07@gtephx.UUCP>, covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) says:

> to ALLAN PRATT:
> 	I have a Mega ST2 which my local dealer will upgrade to the full four
> megabytes of memory. I question is:
>
> What is the offical Atari policy about repair/replacment of Mega ST2 which are
> sent in for repair and which have four megabytes of memory?? Can I expect to get
> back my original Mega ST2 (with my four megs of RAM intact) or will I get back a
> Mega ST4, or will I get back a Mega ST2 without the extra 2 megs.
>
> Of course, my local dealer tells me that I would get back a machine with the same
> of amount of memory as I sent in, but I seem to remember reading that Atari would
> simply send back a stock 2 meg ST. That means that I stand a chance of losing the $500
> investment in meory that I am thinking of adding to my stock Mega ST2.
>
> Please post your reply as I am sure that their are other STers out here with the
> same concern.
>
> TIA.

Well, when you send in any equipment to the Customer Relations exchange
program, you get just that, an exchange of your hardware.  In this case a
Mega 2 computer will be replaced with a *DIFFERENT* Mega 2 computer.  Any
mods or enhancements to the computer must be removed or they will be lost
in the exchange.  Memory upgrades and the like will not be transfered to
the new equipment.

Officially, any machine that has been modified will not be accepted for
a warranty replacement, especially if the mod is what caused the failure
in the first place.  Said machines w/ visable tampering will be returned
with the payment uncashed.

The return/repair address to send the equipment is:

Atari Corp.
390 Caribbean Dr.
Sunnyvale, CA  94089
Attn: Door 17

Please inclose a check or money order for $175.00 (if out of warranty, if in
warranty, enclose a photo-copy of the sales receipt) w/ the unit and a
note explaining what is wrong with it.

If you have any questions on either the return policy of Atari or the
status of your return (once mailed), please contact Customer Relations
@ (408) 745-2367.  One of the operators in that dept. will be able to
answer your questions.

Dan/Atari Corp.