[comp.sys.atari.st] Hybrid Arts

sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) (11/14/88)

In article <148900008@inmet> hedger@inmet writes:

>Try getting in touch with someone at Hybrid Arts.....they wrote a game
>called MIDI kill or something like that where you connected machines
>through the midi ports and killed smiley faces.....anyway they might
>be of some help.

   The game's name is "Midi Maze".  I first saw this one at a local Atari
 Expo last year (had ~10 units playing it at once.)  Anyways,I purchased this
 game,and it's been nothing but a headache for me.  Sure,the game itself is
 fine.  But,I think there is a problem with the protection scheme and/or the
 disk itself.  I've written Hybrid Arts several times (5,I think) telling
 them about this problem and possibly sending my disk for an exchange,but have
 not heard a single word from them.  (BTW I sent my warranty card in the day
 after the purchase.)

   By now,the warranty has expired and I'm stuck without a working copy of a
 program I paid $35 for.  I'm going to try again to write,and if I don't
 hear anything I'm just going to send the disk back.  I don't want to call
 because I'm tired of calling companies with people answering the phone who
 don't know anymore than I do about the product (and sometimes I know more.)
 I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has called a company and had to explain
 the actual product before the problem.  You'd think the company would put
 people who have used the product before to answer the phones.

   Now,I'd like to know if anyone else has had any trouble with this company,
 and what happened.  I hope for the ST world that I'm the only one with
 this problem.

--
 /    /  |\ |  /   / |  / ~Marty Saletta @ Fredonia,New York~Leafs:1st place~~
/ __ /__ | \| /__ /  | /  ~Atari ST,New York Yankees,Who,Pink Floyd,ELP,Fripp~

niemann@hpspkla.HP.COM (Mark A. Niemann) (11/22/88)

     I have purchased several MIDI software programs from Hybrid Arts.
These include SMPTE Track ST, EZ Score Plus, and Genpatch ST.  I have run
into problems with copy protection on EZ Score Plus, and have had questions
regarding bugs on the other two programs.
     I have not been very successful contacting Hybrid Arts directly, usually
getting someone on the line who knows nothing about their products.  They
offer to put me on hold or have someone return my call.  I usually hang up
after 10 minutes or so on hold, and the calls are not returned if I leave my
name and number.
     I have had better luck contacting them through my local dealer where I
purchased the software, but the information they give him is often untrue.
Needless to say this has been rather frustrating at times.
     I must add that when their products work as desired, they are quite nice.
I just wish they showed a little more regard for the customer's satisfaction
after a purchase is made.
							Mark

grieggs@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) (11/23/88)

In article <3490002@hpspkla.HP.COM> niemann@hpspkla.HP.COM (Mark A. Niemann) writes:
>     I must add that when their products work as desired, they are quite nice.
>I just wish they showed a little more regard for the customer's satisfaction
>after a purchase is made.
>							Mark

I used to own Sync-Trak, but sold it due largely to my frustration with
the copy-protection.  As you know (being a SMPTE-Trak owner), their over-
sexed dongle requires both your serial and joystick ports, a serious
drawback for someone who like to use his computer for other things.  Aside
from that, I loved the package, and would recommend it to anyone who uses
their computer ONLY for MIDI.

I did find that the best way to get support was to call their BBS, at
213-826-4288 (Santa Monica, I believe).  Several of their authors are
on there regularly.

_john

--
John T. Grieggs (Telos @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465

EHARNDEN@AUVM.BITNET (Eric Harnden) (02/09/89)

     I just got a backlog of issues of AtariInfo, so I'm getting this
out a little late...
     I've had recent dealings with Hybrid Arts, and have not had much
difficulty at all. They seem to be putting most of their effort into
the support and development of their SMPTETrack software, so maybe they
are being lax on other stuff, for which there certainly is no excuse,
*but*... Call Them. Having dealt with vendors for some time now, I am well
aware of the frustrations of runarounds and ignorance, but a single phone
call, even if half an hour long, is infinitely more effective than a blizzard
of mail, if for no other reason that it *can't be ignored*. Push it a little.
Get the phone person to connect you to somenone who knows. Remember, answering
people are just operators, most of the time. They need correct info in order
to route you.
              Eric Harnden (Ronin)
v Eric Harnden        atari-info16@score.  2/08/89 Hybrid Arts