[comp.sys.atari.st] Unix windows for the ST

wxh@a.lanl.gov (Billy Harvey) (02/08/89)

Has anyone had any success in using the Unix windows programs available from
him1.cc.umich.edu?  I have the program to run on the Atari and one recently
posted to him1 to run on the Unix side, but I haven't had any luck in
getting the two to talk together.  Maybe I'm not doing something right.
I start the Unix side program on the VAX, which prints '8%' on the screen
(a prompt I guess), and then I execute the Atari program from within my
comm program (Flash), and stall.  Any attempt to do anything from the Atari
results in a message on screen saying 'Unix Windows is not running'.
Am I missing the obvious?

edwin@ruuinf.UUCP (Edwin Kremer) (02/08/89)

 In article <825@a.lanl.gov>, wxh@a.lanl.gov (Billy Harvey) writes:
 > I start the Unix side program on the VAX, which prints '8%' on the screen
 > (a prompt I guess), and then I execute the Atari program from within my
 > comm program (Flash), and stall.  Any attempt to do anything from the Atari
 > results in a message on screen saying 'Unix Windows is not running'.
 > Am I missing the obvious?

First of all, you should forget about Flash, UW on the Atari will act
as the communication program. I've never used Flash; I just guess Flash
and UW are dogfighting...

You should also reverse the actions: first startup UW on your Atari;
this will give you a terminal emulator to your UNIX system. Login to
UNIX and startup 'uw' from your favourite login shell.
I'm not an experienced UW user, but if I use it, I do it this way without
any trouble....

							--[ Edwin ]--

--
Edwin Kremer, Department of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14,  P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (02/08/89)

In article <825@a.lanl.gov> wxh@a.lanl.gov (Billy Harvey) writes:
>Has anyone had any success in using the Unix windows programs available from
>him1.cc.umich.edu?  I have the program to run on the Atari and one recently
>posted to him1 to run on the Unix side, but I haven't had any luck in
>getting the two to talk together.  Maybe I'm not doing something right.

I use UW all the time...do it as follows:

On the Atari, start up the uw program from the desktop (uw is a
terminal emulator as well, so starting it from Flash would probably
confuse thing). Then log into your Unix system, set your terminal type
to adm3a, and run the uw program on the unix side. You should then be
able to open multiple windows/processes. One word of warning. If you
are using the new ROMS (i.e. you have a new MEGA-2/4), the current UW
programs will not run correctly. I am looking at the source code and
it appears that uw copies the system fonts from ROM via a vector that
moved somewhere else on the new ROMS. As soon as I get time, I am
going to try to tear out the font mapping code in UW and replace it
with a much faster mechanism that Chuck Purcell (stag!roseate!cjp)
gave me...although getting it to work on color monitors is a bit
higher priority (it sort of works now).

 -Todd Burkey    "A member of STdNET-The ST developers' Network"
  trb@stag.UUCP

In article <825@a.lanl.gov> wxh@a.lanl.gov (Billy Harvey) writes:
%Has anyone had any success in using the Unix windows programs available from
%him1.cc.umich.edu?  I have the program to run on the Atari and one recently
%posted to him1 to run on the Unix side, but I haven't had any luck in
%getting the two to talk together.  Maybe I'm not doing something right.
%I start the Unix side program on the VAX, which prints '8%' on the screen
%(a prompt I guess), and then I execute the Atari program from within my
%comm program (Flash), and stall.  Any attempt to do anything from the Atari
%results in a message on screen saying 'Unix Windows is not running'.
%Am I missing the obvious?

Start UW on the Atari side first. It will come up with a single window, doing
plain dumb (ADM) terminal emulation. Then start the Unix side running; the
"8%" you saw is part of the init sequence, which can only be recognized if
the local (Atari) side is already running. Starting from inside Flash may
not be very wise. The more windows and fonts you use, the more free memory
you'll need.
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

wxh@a.lanl.gov (Billy Harvey) (02/09/89)

Thanks for the help posted about using unix windows.  I got the program to
work (once I went back and reread the documentation! :-).  The program was
written to run with the _monochrome_ monitor, and I am probably one of the
last to still only use the color monitor.  However, the program will run
using the MONOWARE monochrome emulator for the color monitors.  Obviously
the quality of screen output isn't top notch, but it works.  If anyone does
rewrite the code to run with the color system, I'd certainly use it.

Along the same lines, a program I think would be really useful would work
similarly to the current implementation of unix windows for the atari st.
The program would allow basically two 'windows'.  One window would be the
normal full screen you see for working with whatever system you frequented.
The other window would be for file transfer only - perhaps one or two
protocols only, say kermit and zmodem.  You couldn't even see this window as
such, just monitor its status, redirect i/o, etc.  Although a third window
to allow file transfer in each direction at the same time would be handy
also.  This would allow continued work during file transfer - say reading
the netnews :-).  Any comments/people who could hack this up over the
weekend.  I think the basic ideas already exist, i.e. the file transfer
protocols, how to implement multiple terminals.  Sigh, I just wish I knew
enough to do it myself...

hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) (02/10/89)

In article <826@a.lanl.gov> wxh@a.lanl.gov (Billy Harvey) writes:
>Along the same lines, a program I think would be really useful would work
>similarly to the current implementation of unix windows for the atari st.
>The program would allow basically two 'windows'.  One window would be the
>normal full screen you see for working with whatever system you frequented.
>The other window would be for file transfer only - perhaps one or two
>protocols only, say kermit and zmodem.
>This would allow continued work during file transfer - say reading
>the netnews :-).

I have implemented something like this in Smalltalk-80 on the Mega ST.
The basic idea was that I have a bunch of plug-and-fit modules like
terminals, file transfer protocols, multiplexers etc.  I would just put
a multiplexing thing onto my host port, and then could use 7 ports coming
out of the multiplexing thing for whatever I want.  Of course, don't expect
wonders when doing filetransfers and news reading over the same slow 9600er
serial line...

	Hans-Martin
--
Hans-Martin Mosner		| Don't tell Borland about Smalltalk - |
hmm@unido.{uucp,bitnet}		| they might invent Turbo Smalltalk !  |