[comp.sys.atari.st] spelling checker DA?

TOXI_CE@HNYKUN51.BITNET (02/10/89)

Distribution-File:
        "info-atari16@score.stanford.edu"

I am looking for a spelling checker that will run as a desk accessory.

What I would like to do is use SEDT to edit text files, while the accessory
is doing continous spell check. The SEDT manual says that this should be
possible.

I assume the accessory would use a lot of memory for the dictionary.
It would be nice if this memory could be freed when the spelling checker
is not used. (TeX will need the memory).

                             Chris Evelo

                             TOXI_CE@HNYKUN51 (BITNET/EARN)

                                 an underscore _ not -.

               Mail address: Department of Toxicology
                             University of Nijmegen
                             Kapittelweg 54
                             6525 EP Nijmegen
                             The Netherlands
                             tel. 080-517184/514206

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (02/11/89)

In article <8902101251.AA27825@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, TOXI_CE@HNYKUN51.BITNET writes:
> What I would like to do is use SEDT to edit text files, while the accessory
> is doing continous spell check. The SEDT manual says that this should be
> possible.
>
>                              Chris Evelo

Did I get this right?  If this SEDT is the freely-redistributable editor that
looks like a tweaked-up version of DEC EDT, I'd be real interested in getting
a copy.  There are jobs on the IBM PC where I've found it to be EXACTLY the
right tool, and there isn't anything similar in my Atari ST kit.  Thanks!
                                 Steve J.

wxh@a.lanl.gov (Billy Harvey) (02/11/89)

In article <8902101251.AA27825@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, TOXI_CE@HNYKUN51.BITNET writes:
> I am looking for a spelling checker that will run as a desk accessory.

I seem to remember a desk accessory called Thunder! which would do this.
It would spell check on the fly, and beep when it found a misspelled word.

> I assume the accessory would use a lot of memory for the dictionary.
> It would be nice if this memory could be freed when the spelling checker
> is not used. (TeX will need the memory).

I remember the program could be permanently turned off, but I don't know
if it freed its memory.  I don't know if its available anymore or from
where.  Anyone?
--Billy         wxh@a.lanl.gov

close@cacilj.UUCP (Diane Barlow Close) (02/12/89)

In article <828@a.lanl.gov> wxh@a.lanl.gov (Billy Harvey) writes:
>In article <8902101251.AA27825@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, TOXI_CE@HNYKUN51.BITNET writes:
>> I am looking for a spelling checker that will run as a desk accessory.
>
>I seem to remember a desk accessory called Thunder! which would do this.
>It would spell check on the fly, and beep when it found a misspelled word.
>
>I don't know if its available anymore or from where.  Anyone?

Batteries Included from Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada does indeed make/
market Thunder.  Thunder is a spelling program and DA, and a writing
statistics checker.  It is quite good.

A company here in San Diego called Warner Engineering has bought up about
150 copies of Thunder (all they could get their hands on before it
recently "disappeared" due to distributor problems) and they are selling it
for about $30.

Warner's phone number is (619) 224-5090 and they are located on:
3545 Midway Dr., San Diego, CA.

I have a copy of Thunder, and I think it is great.

--
Diane Barlow Close
      {uunet, crash, ucsd}!cacilj!close