[comp.sys.atari.st] Derivatives of Small & Moore

rjung@sal44.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (02/11/89)

In article <3807@druwy.ATT.COM> dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
>in article <7222@pyr.gatech.EDU>, iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks ) says:
>>    Help.  I want to put one of the programs in my auto folder that
>>  prevents the mouse selecting something in the top menu-bar unless
>>  I have the button pressed.   I have a Mega2 and I've tried a program
>>  called Mouse Protect and one called MacMenu
>
>	I'm assuming that "Mouse Protect" and "MacMenu" are really just
>renamed copies (or derivatives) of "MouseTrap", the program Dave Small
>and I wrote for STart a long time ago.  If so they will never work on a
>Mega.

  Just to pick a _very_ small nit here: I don't know about "MouseProtect", but
I can say for sure that "MacMenu" is not a "renamed" version of Mousetrap.
Mousetrap sends the mouse to the menu bar with a click of the right button;
MacMenu requires a left button press before you can move into the menu bar.

  (Yeah, it's trivial, but I don't want people to think that the author of
MacMenu was a cheapo renamed copy of the excellent Mousetrap)

						--R.J.
						B-)

"Forget the Spectre 128! Bring back the _Outpost: Atari_ columns!"

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)
  ####  ##  ####

iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks ) (02/11/89)

In article <2649@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@sal44.usc.edu (Robert  allen Jung) writes:
}In article <3807@druwy.ATT.COM> dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
}>in article <7222@pyr.gatech.EDU>, iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks ) says:
}>>    Help.  I want to put one of the programs in my auto folder that
}>>  prevents the mouse selecting something in the top menu-bar unless
}>>  I have the button pressed.   I have a Mega2 and I've tried a program
}>>  called Mouse Protect and one called MacMenu
}>
}
}  Just to pick a _very_ small nit here: I don't know about "MouseProtect", but
}I can say for sure that "MacMenu" is not a "renamed" version of Mousetrap.
}Mousetrap sends the mouse to the menu bar with a click of the right button;
}MacMenu requires a left button press before you can move into the menu bar.
}
}  (Yeah, it's trivial, but I don't want people to think that the author of
}MacMenu was a cheapo renamed copy of the excellent Mousetrap)
}
}						--R.J.
}						B-)
}
    Yeah, that's a valid nit.  But --  is the answer for the "MouseTrap"
  derivatives still valid for "MacMenu"?
    I would like to use this feature on my Mega.  If there are any other
  programs to do this please let me know the names and availability info
  about them.

              Cheers,
                  Terry

--
T. Terrell Banks  uucp:                       {backbone}!gatech!prism!iadt3tb
Georgia Insitute of Technology - I.S.A.    Internet: iadt3tb@prism.gatech.edu

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (02/14/89)

in article <2649@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@sal44.usc.edu (Robert  allen Jung) says:
>   Just to pick a _very_ small nit here: I don't know about "MouseProtect", but
> I can say for sure that "MacMenu" is not a "renamed" version of Mousetrap.
> Mousetrap sends the mouse to the menu bar with a click of the right button;
> MacMenu requires a left button press before you can move into the menu bar.
>
>   (Yeah, it's trivial, but I don't want people to think that the author of
> MacMenu was a cheapo renamed copy of the excellent Mousetrap)

	It is still possible that "MacMenus" is a version of "MouseTrap".
The official version of MouseTrap (the one STart published) had the right
button jump the mouse to the menu bar.  Dave and I wrote several other
versions before sending that one to STart, and a couple more after STart
published it.  Some used the right button, some used the left, some moved the
mouse to the menu bar and some just made you press the button to enter the
menu bar.  There are even a couple of versions that run on later ROMs.

	Without actually looking at the code it is impossible to say whether
"MacMenu" is one of the ones that Dave and I wrote, a derivative of one we
wrote or a completely original program.  It also doesn't matter, the whole
idea of publishing the source code was to allow people to either modify it or
use it as a guide to write their own.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver