[comp.sys.atari.st] Page Stream - > Postscript

heiden@kbomfg.dec.com (Matthias Heiden, Reliability Engineering, Kaufbeuren) (01/30/89)

 I have printed successfully Postscript output generated by PageStream V1.0
 and V1.5 on a DEC Scriptprinter.  The  only problems I have encountered so
 far are  printout of  special characters like *pi*  and the setting of the
 top margin (usual 1 inch offset problem).  The  DEC Scriptprinter had ver-
 sion 47.2 of  Postscript installed.  The Postscript  files were tranferred
 via  UNITERM from the ST to a  VAX (in text format) and then printed  like
 any other Postscript file generated on the VAX.
 If you are using a Laserwriter you should check for the wiring and for any
 special start sequence required to get it in the right Postscript mode. As
 far as I remember from previous discussions about this subject on the net,
 the Laserwriter requires 'special treatment' to work with the ST.
 Check as well the communication protocol on *both* sides !

               Matthias

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/02/89)

In article <8901300844.AA26420@decwrl.dec.com>, heiden@kbomfg.dec.com (Matthias Heiden, Reliability Engineering, Kaufbeuren) writes:

>  I have printed successfully Postscript output generated by PageStream V1.0
>  and V1.5 on a DEC Scriptprinter.  ...

Well, it may create PostScript but it won't write it to disk.
First, PageStream V1.0 crashed so fast that I never got to actually
attempting to print anything.  But, yesterday I went to see of there
was anything that works on an Atari that will produce PostScript (before
we trash the 1040 and buy an Amiga).  I played with Calimus which seems
like a great program but it doesn't talk PostScript (yet).  So, I loaded
PageStream V1.5 to test it out.  Upon entering a command to write
PostScript to a disk file it crashed.  Oh well.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (02/05/89)

From: dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP (John Stanley)

[Phil Hughes <fyl@ssc.UUCP> writes...]
> Well, it may create PostScript but it won't write it to disk.

  Wrong Phil...  It -does- work if you get it setup right...

[..stuff deleted..]
> So, I loaded PageStream V1.5 to test it out.  Upon entering a command
> to write PostScript to a disk file it crashed.  Oh well.

  "Oh well" indeed...  I wonder what you did because I've had very good
luck printing postscript to disk using PageStream 1.5.

  Did you delete the old .INF file and reconfigure your program before you
tried printing?  Are you using the new (specific for 1.5) printer drivers?
Not doing either of these is the single most common cause of problems with
version 1.5 and both can cause the problem you described.

  I agree that neither of these "should" cause the program to crash, but
they do.  PgS is not fully mature (cans of Raid and the like are still
necessary) and I am one of the people who give SoftLogik the worst time
for their failings when I'm on GEnie.  On the other hand, I'm also very
much in favor of giving them credit for getting things right when they do
and PgS can, in fact, print quite acceptable postscript "to disk" (once
you get past the setup problems).

> --
> Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
>     uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

--
PS:  Please note that my Reply-To address gets munged by the gateway
I'm currently using for news access so you can't just <r>eply to this

---
John Stanley <dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP>
Software Consultant / Dynasoft Systems

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (02/14/89)

In article <1673@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>...I went to see of there was anything that works on an Atari that will
>produce PostScript (before we trash the 1040 and buy an Amiga).

If I remember correctly, Gold Disk puts out a Publishing program that writes
PostScript.  They have an Amiga version, so you might check it out, on the
chance they have an ST version out.

| John A. Dutka  (jdutka)  |      .  .  . .____. .      | jdutka@wpi.bitnet  |
| Worcester Polytechnic	   |      |  |  | |    | |      | jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu |
| WPI Box 2308             |      |  |  | |____| |      |                    |
| 100 Institute Road	   |      |  |  | |      |      +--------------------+
| Worcester, MA 01609-2280 |      |__|__| |      |      | "Success through   |
| (508) 792-1949	   | 			        |  (to be filled in) |
|                          | Copyright 1989, Chris Moir |  (     later     ) |