[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS Error 35 with mx2?

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (02/10/89)

I recently downloaded the mx2 object code from comp.binaries.atari.st and
went through the usual machinations to get it on my ST. But when I try to run
MX2.PRG is doesn't get very far before it reports "TOS Error #35" and quits.
(This is on a Mega ST2). I went through the whole process again with the same
results, so I conclude that mx2 and Megas don't mix, or that the binaries
are corrupted.

(I have encountered TOS error 35 with other PD programs on my Mega. A copy of
twister that runs on a 1040 won't run on my Mega).

Has anyone got mx2 running on their Mega (or 1040)? Can anyone explain the
meaning, if any, of TOS error 35?

Thanks in advance!

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

rp362@estevax_a.UUCP (Reiner Plaum) (02/15/89)

In article <5440014@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>I recently downloaded the mx2 object code from comp.binaries.atari.st and
>went through the usual machinations to get it on my ST. But when I try to run
>MX2.PRG is doesn't get very far before it reports "TOS Error #35" and quits.
>(I have encountered TOS error 35 with other PD programs on my Mega. A copy of
>twister that runs on a 1040 won't run on my Mega).

I had the same problem with some PD programs downloaded to my ST, until I
found the problem. May be you ran into the same problem.
I uudecoded the arc'd programs on our Unix machine and downloaded the files
using Kermit (to a PC). I got TOS error 35 (which means "too many open files"
and is arbitrary I think). I have found that Kermit corrupts binary files during
transfer. However, Kermit offers a binary mode (sending two readable
bytes for one octet). After using this mode, the downloaded PD programs
work fine.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/16/89)

This is the second attempt at this posting...

One way to get TOS ERROR #35 is to double-click something with a
type of .TOS .TTP or .PRG which is not in fact a program, or which
is garbled, or truncated.  GEMDOS gives the error EPLFMT: invalid
program load format.  The Desktop says "TOS ERROR #35."  I don't
know why, and I don't know if this is the only way to get that
error message: there may be other ways.

mui@atari.UUCP (Derek Mui) (02/17/89)

in article <5440014@hplsla.HP.COM>, andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) says:

> (I have encountered TOS error 35 with other PD programs on my Mega. A copy of
> twister that runs on a 1040 won't run on my Mega).
>
> Has anyone got mx2 running on their Mega (or 1040)? Can anyone explain the
> meaning, if any, of TOS error 35?

	When the AES's shell launches a program ( by doing the Pexec() ),
it will check for certain error conditions.  Currently it checks for -33,
-34, -35, -36, -39, -41, -42, -46, -47 and if it matches, it will bring up
appropriate alert boxes to inform the users.

	The rest of the errors will be shown as "TOS error XX." The error
number XX is equivalent to the MSDOS error number as -32 is equal to 1,
-33 is equal to 2 and so on.  In this case, "TOS error 35" indicates there is
a GEMDOS error -66.

----------------------------------------		Derek Mui
The above opinions are my own and nobody		Atari Corp
elses.

fgbrooks@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (02/17/89)

I have tested MX2 with a MEGA2 and MEGA4 so it should work. I have just got
back from an over-seas assignment and my machine is still in transit. I have
been doing some work on the program. "added threads and fixed some bugs"
I will be posting a new copy soon. MX2 V3.0.0

Fred Brooks

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!fgbrooks
ARPA: crash!pnet01!fgbrooks@nosc.mil
INET: fgbrooks@pnet01.cts.com