[comp.sys.atari.st] Reply to Megtaouch dislike

35002_3025@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/05/89)

In article <314@ultb.UUCP>, clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
> As for those MegaTouch keyboard springs..................
> They are the PITS.
> I bought them at the Toronto Atari Convention in November.
> Installed them EXACTLY as they said to do.
> Tried to type on them.
> And could not.

some lines deleted...

I hasten to disagree with you sir!  I have installed the megatouch and love it.
It has taken some adjustment, but i now have a much firmer keyboard, which i
really like.  It does make a difference which way the springs are inserted, as
the bottom is a different diameter from the top.  Perhaps you may have inserted
them the wrong way up.  Anyways....I also have to agree with you, being able to
a third party key board would be nice....

ecs40hw036@minnie.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000040663;3200;250;205;ecs40hw) (02/07/89)

  Keyboard feel has always been a personal matter.  If you like a mushy feel,
then the ST is perfect the way it is.  If you want to hit something when you
type, then Megatouch could be the answer.  If you want an IBM-type keyboard,
however, look elsewhere because the Megatouch doesn't provide a "click" when
you type.  It just gives you a solid base.

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (02/08/89)

Trust me, I put them in BOTH ways, and was totally disgusted with them.
They may make the keyboard firmer, but as a touch typist, typing more
than a page causes severe finger fatigue.  If you are a hunt-and-pecker
type of typist, then you might like them.

The Mega has a very nice keyboard.  I may try and build a keyboard this
summer, but I doubt it will work.

Having both the springs and the rubber cups in the keyboard makes it
far TOO stiff!

Chris Freemesser
BITNET: %clf3678@ritvaxb

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (02/11/89)

In article <330@ultb.UUCP>, clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
> Trust me, I put them in BOTH ways, and was totally disgusted with them.
> They may make the keyboard firmer, but as a touch typist, typing more
> than a page causes severe finger fatigue.  If you are a hunt-and-pecker
> type of typist, then you might like them.
> Chris Freemesser
> BITNET: %clf3678@ritvaxb

The Megatouch springs that I bought for my old 520ST don't travel smoothly
either. They bind either while moving down or up. so, you get an uneven pressure
whiel depressing them. I also feel that they are too stiff.

So, I removed mine (well most of them!!).

Now, I just use my 520ST for games, and my Mega ST2 for serious work!!

Richard Covert

jgtst@cisunx.UUCP (Jim Tauberg) (02/22/89)

A friend of mine also WASTED HIS MONEY on those stupid keyboard springs.
They were a hassle to put in, a waste of time trying to get "used to,"
a hard time removing, and a general waste of time and money.

I'm glad someone likes them, but I think most people think they're worse
than the original keyboard!

James Tauberg
(Zet CRASH!)