Date:    22 February 89, 12:42:37 EST
From:    Jim McCabe                                     MCCABE   at MTUS5
To:      INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Re: Info About Tech Specialties

I'd recommend not dealing with this company...  About a year ago I ordered
a memory upgrade from Tech Specialties for my 520, and had all sorts of
problems.

First off, they'll tell you that you will receive the order within the
week.  A week later, it's not there.  So, you'll wait another week just
for good measure, and it still doesn't arrive.  After two weeks I called
them back and asked where my order was, and they told me, "well, chip
prices went up and we had to raise the price of your order.  ((This is
AFTER I had ordered it -- is it legal to do this anyone?))  So, we were
waiting for you to send in more money before we can ship it."

That was the killer.  First, they raise their price after I had already
ordered the unit at the original price.  Secondly, they never notified
me about the "problem", so I wasted two weeks waiting for something that
wasn't even in the mail yet.  Thirdly, they have no 800 line, so if you
want to find out which planet your kit is on, you have to pay for a call
during business hours!  And finally, their phone support is very poor --
the person I talked to (every time) didn't seem to know anything at all
about the products besides their name and price.

Overall, I'd stay away from this company.  The hardware seems reliable
enough, but the service is unbearable.  I would have gladly paid the extra
fifty dollars for prompt and honest service.

                                                Jim McCabe
                                                MCCABE @ MTUS5.BITNET