[comp.sys.atari.st] SC1224 monitor troubles

rick@jpusa1.UUCP (Rick Mills) (02/15/89)

	I have a friend who recently was given a SC1224 monitor
only to have it breakdown a week or so later. This one was made by
Goldstar, so I have my doubts about getting any OEM parts for it...
	Here's what it is: On the power supply board there's what
looks like a thyristor that's blown apart - it's labeled 'TH901' on
the board. It's right behind the fuse.
	Is anybody familiar with this problem? Does anyone know
exactly what this part is, and do you think it's available anywhere?
	Any help would be much appreciated - and if I find an answer,
or course I'll post it, as I have a feeling this may be a common
problem.

			-rick

--
Rick Mills {gargoyle.uchicago.edu,uunet.uu.net,spl1,ddsw1}!jpusa1.uucp!rick

skaggst@k9.cs.orst.edu (Terrence Lee Skaggs) (02/16/89)

In article <1050@jpusa1.UUCP> rick@jpusa1.UUCP (Rick Mills) writes:

>	I have a friend who recently was given a SC1224 monitor
>only to have it breakdown a week or so later. This one was made by
>Goldstar, so I have my doubts about getting any OEM parts for it...
>	Here's what it is: On the power supply board there's what
>looks like a thyristor that's blown apart - it's labeled 'TH901' on
>the board. It's right behind the fuse.
>	Is anybody familiar with this problem? Does anyone know
>exactly what this part is, and do you think it's available anywhere?
>
>--
>Rick Mills {gargoyle.uchicago.edu,uunet.uu.net,spl1,ddsw1}!jpusa1.uucp!rick

I had this same problem last summer.  I spent about 3 weeks calling Atari
dealers and just about everybody else I could find.  I eventually got
2 different part numbers off of schematics (unfortunately, I can't
remember what they are now--if I find them I'll let you know.)  But
not one of the electronics places I talked to had listings for either
of the part numbers (or any part numbers in those series).  I even called
a Goldstar 800 number and they gave me the name of a dealer in California
who didn't know anything at all about the monitor.  I eventually ended
up paying $95 to Atari to replace the monitor.  I would be interested if
you do find an answer.  I hope you have better luck than I did...

Terry Skaggs (skaggst@k9.cs.orst.edu)
	     ({hplabs!orstcs!k9!skaggst)

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Fox in Sox) (02/17/89)

The TH901 is GoldStar's most famous part to blow, apparently.  Call
GoldStar.  They cost about $5, I think.  Get two in case there's something
else wrong in addition and it blows the first one when you replace it.

rick@jpusa1.UUCP (Rick Mills) (02/24/89)

	I wanted to summarize the messages I recieved concerning
the problems with my friend's SC1224 (Goldstar) monitor, but rather
than page through the horror stories, let me offer what looks like a
solution -
	There's a company called Best Electronics in the 408 areacode
of california (San Jose, Sunnyvale) that carries just about anything that
they can get a hold of having to do with electronic problems (with Ataris).
Mouses, keyboards *and* the infamous thermystor (Labeled TH901) on the power
supply board inside the monitor that has conspicously blown on quite a few
SC1224's...
	So for those with dead goldstar's who have determined that parts
are unavailable - give these guys a call!

	Best Electronics - (408) 243-6950

NOTE: I have no connection with Best Electronics - But am just
	a satisfied home-repairer. (Sorry if it looks like an ad).

				-rick mills