[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard disk problem

terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) (01/05/87)

I am not an expert on hard disks, although I have the Atari 20M.  Have
you tried booting the system with the hard disk connected but turned
off?

If this is possible, you might be able to turn on the hard drive after
the boot, and then run the format program from the floppy that came
with the drive.

Let me know if this works.

Terrell

P.S. You will probably want to boot with a boot disk that does not have
the hard disk's installation reflected in the desktop.inf file.

casper@targon.UUCP (Casper Jansen) (01/08/87)

In article <8701042337.AA11762@ohio-state.ARPA> terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA
(Eric Terrell) writes:

>I am not an expert on hard disks, although I have the Atari 20M.  Have
>you tried booting the system with the hard disk connected but turned
>off?
>
>If this is possible, you might be able to turn on the hard drive after
>the boot, and then run the format program from the floppy that came
>with the drive.
>
>Let me know if this works.
>
>Terrell

The very simple solution is to boot the computer without the harddisk
switched on. After the boot, you switch on the harddisk and run the
driver from the floppy. Having done this you have to install the C drive
with the install drive option, and of you go. You can acces your harddisk
and remove the problem.

While being on the subject, I have used a programm for a few weeks now
which boots my ST directly from my harddisk. This is achived through
a clever trick. If you power up your computer, you can see the ST accessing
the harddisk even before any drivers are loaded. Apparently, it reads
a little part from the harddisk into memory. The thing to do is to
put the harddisk driver in this exact place, so the computer reads this
into memory. As I said, I have been working with it for a few weeks now
and have had no problems. The HD boots up strait away, even if I have no
floppy in my drive. I think the program wich realises this is PD and
I could post it if there is enough intrest.

While writing this. I have a program which is called MacBongo, and which
does the same as the Magic Sac, but with software only. It uses parts
of the programms of David Small, with the difference that instead
of having the Apple Roms attached in a cartridge, it has the Roms on disk
as a file. I have played around with it, and everything works fine.
The good thing about this is that all you need is software, no more
hardware needed.
No printing is supported yet, but the author is working on it.

Well this was a bit of rambling here from cold Holland, if there is
enough intrest I will follow up soon with info about these two programs
as I see fit.

Casper Jansen
P.O. Box 40181
4130 ED Vianen
The Netherlands
....!mcvax!targon!casper

parkb@csri.toronto.edu ("Brian T. Park") (07/06/88)

(Hello world...)

	I wonder if some knowledgeable person out there could help
me with a hard disk problem.  I have a 1040ST (11/20/85 ROM version)
and a Supra Drive 20Meg hard disk which came with a version 1.1
'supboot.prg' boot up program.  My disk partitions are
C: (7Meg), D: (4Megs), and E: (the rest).
	It seems that some internal directory table is being wiped out every
and then, causing the system to report back to me that the entire
harddisk has been erased.  When the poor computer is reset, all is
ok.  A guaranteed method of reproducing this consistently is to
click the 'show info' option in the GEM menu for, let's say, the
E: drive.  This will return the correct disk usage; but when it
is invoked immediately on D:, it will report 0 bytes used on D:.
	Thanks in advance.

Brian Park
parkb@emca.waves.toronto.edu

Jack_Mason@CSC03.CEO.DG.COM (07/15/88)

To Brian Park's question on hard disk problems, there could be two
issues causing your trouble.  One is the 4 Mb partition for drive
"D:", since the Atari ST apparently has problems with partitions
smaller than 5 Mb.  The other could be you are passing the 40 folder
limit when you do a 'show info' on partition "E:".  A program to fix
the 40 folder limit is available on Compuserve under the name
"FOLDRXXX.PRG" which is placed in the AUTO folder.  I had similar
problems that disappeared when these two issues were resolved.

parkb@csri.toronto.edu ("Brian T. Park") (07/19/88)

I want to thank those who replied to my SOS on the hard disk
problem I was having with my Supra Drive 20Meg.  It basically
came down to that nasty 40 folder limit.  Perhaps most of you
know this, but I was under the impression that the limit
only referred to the number of folders one could keep on a
particular level;  I did not realize that it also applied to
the number of folders one could *look* into during a session.
Well, having a little over 100 folders altogether on my three
partitions, I was just asking for it.

The solution was of course FOLDRXXX.PRG.  (Thanks to Hugh
Redelmeier who sent it over to me.)  This program should be used
by everyone with a hard disk!  In fact, if you use the recently
posted FATSPEED.PRG (speeds up your hard disk fat table access)
then you *must* use foldrxxx.  Otherwise, you will certainly start
wiping out files on your hard disk.  Take it from a person who is
weeping over five of them.

On Jack Mason's point that perhaps my D: partition, at 4 Megs,
may be too small, I have not noticed anything extra-ordinary
yet.

Oh, one last thing.  Due to an error an my part, my original
article would not have reach anyone outside North America.  This
followup, however, contains enough to compensate.  I have
now absolutely no complaints about my Supra Drive, except
for that rather loud hum (but that's another story).  Thanks
everyone.

Brian Park

parkb@emca.waves.toronto.edu
(or parkb@csri.toronto.edu if you are forced)
(no UUCP address because I haven't figured out how UUCP works... :-) )

alfred@dutesta.UUCP (Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser) (07/22/88)

In article <4.012935@adam.DG.COM> <Jack_Mason%CSC03.CEO.DG.COM@adam.DG.COM> writes:
>To Brian Park's question on hard disk problems, there could be two
>issues causing your trouble.  One is the 4 Mb partition for drive
>"D:", since the Atari ST apparently has problems with partitions
>smaller than 5 Mb.  The other could be you are passing the 40 folder
>limit when you do a 'show info' on partition "E:".  A program to fix
>the 40 folder limit is available on Compuserve under the name
>"FOLDRXXX.PRG" which is placed in the AUTO folder.  I had similar
>problems that disappeared when these two issues were resolved.

/                                                                             \
| Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser: Computer fans especially from 24 pm to 7 am |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

fjmora@CS.WM.EDU (Fredric Mora) (02/24/89)

Hello,
In message dated  5 Feb 89 03:16:13 GMT, D. Crevier writes:

> I accidentally turned off my computer while Super Boot was revising
> the files, and now my hard drive won't boot.  I'm using the ICD host
> adaptor and a Miniscribe 3650 formatted in RLL format for 64 megs.
> By booting the ICD disk with the hard drive controller program, it
> still will not access the hard drive.  I assume the boot sector some
> how got messed up when Superboot was renaming the files.  Is there
> any way I can repair the boot sector or access my other partitions?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Dan Crevier
> (dcrevier@jarthur.claremont.edu)

Well, you probably did not harm your boot sector, because SuperBoot
don't mess with this. But it looks like you damaged your directory or
your FAT.
If you damaged your FAT, there is a second copy of it on the hard
disk, so get a disk sector editor like Disk Mechanics (PD) and copy
the good FAT over the damaged one.
If the directoy is damaged... There is little you can do by hand.
I don't know how to help you. Try asking around. BUT: the files
that Superboot was renaming/copying while you shut off the power are
probably either in the \auto folder or in the root directory. So it
is probably only these dirs that need recovery.
Did you do a backup? There is a very fast utility called Meg-A-Minute
around (see back issues of Start).
I don't know anything specific about your hard-disk. What driver do
you use? Atari's or Supra's?
Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              GEnie:
     The College of William and Mary            F.MORA
     Dept. of Computer Science                  INTERNET:
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185                    fjmora@cs.wm.edu
     USA

 * "Was uns nicht toetet, macht uns staerker."                       *
 *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche  *
 *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                          *

- Come, come, little line eater, I won't harm you (evil grin)...