[comp.sys.atari.st] MMU GLUE chip clip 0 files message

pa1575@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1575) (02/03/89)

Does anyone know a better solution to a flaky MMU/GLUE soket besides
the "three inch solution" in BYTE a few years ago. My ST has been
debilitated twice in three months to extent that  had to open it up
and push the chips hard to reseat them. Ug . Now I am getting the
flaky 0 files message that we have all come to know and love. I do
have a chip clip that came with the machine but ....

	Any answer would be appreciated. Atari? Users?

	C. Squibby Breyman squibby@sddo.ucsd.edu

	I like my ST for small applications. I am not going to
	suggest that it even be considered for serious processing
	applications(computer music synthesis)

	"Mom, I want to be a registered nurse"---
					'Dueling Banjos' by
					Nurse with Wound

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/03/89)

In article <1029@sdcc15.ucsd.edu>, pa1575@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1575) writes:
> Does anyone know a better solution to a flaky MMU/GLUE soket besides
> the "three inch solution" in BYTE a few years ago. My ST has been
> debilitated twice in three months to extent that  had to open it up
> and push the chips hard to reseat them. Ug . Now I am getting the
> flaky 0 files message that we have all come to know and love. I do
> have a chip clip that came with the machine but ....

I've two experiences with this kind of problem, on the Atari 800 and ST.

The underlying problem is that chips in sockets make imperfect connections.
Most chips, including all with tinned (silver colored) pins are meant to be
soldered, and will  oxidize in a socket.

The easiest fix is to :
1. remove the chip.
2. clean its pins (or bumps for a MMU) with care. NO sandpaper, but rubbing
   with a cloth is useful.
3. reinsert the chip.  The sliding of the contacts across each other is
   the important part.

The ST has 2 chips that are square, like the MMU.  The contact pressure on
the chip is quite low, so it is also possible that there is such a poor
contact that it doesn't clean up when the chip is pressed back in.
There is no pat solution to this.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
...lzaz!hcj

fjmora@CS.WM.EDU (Fredric Mora) (02/24/89)

In message dated  3 Feb 89 07:28:44 GMT,  C. Squibby Breyman, who
seemed to be pissed off by hardware problems, writes:
> I like my ST for small applications. I am not going to
> suggest that it even be considered for serious processing
> applications(computer music synthesis)
As I did not see the smile sign, I assume Mr. Breyman is doing some
bashing here. I'll not put here the figures of the North-American
MIDI market, but the ST holds about 35% of this market, more than
any competitor. Now, if you want some references, here are some
people who use our not-for-serious-user-computer just for that:

Fleetwood Mac (despite the name:-) ), Pointer Sisters, Tangerine
Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre (of Houston mega-show fame).
I personally saw an ST be used in the street by musicians performing
at a festival, and the 1040's were NOT tenderly handled (and that's
a mild understatement). In 3 months of daily rough handling, no
problem showdd. And the ST's were already a year old. So don't blame
the whole line for a small percentage of bad sockets.

About quality control, I witnessed a spontaneous combustion of an
IBM PC-AT (IBM, folks! Not a cheap clone!) motherboard which fried
under our horrified gaze. It was 2 or 3 year old. Moral: even brand
computers can have faulty chips or mechanical parts.

About components quality: a few years ago, I was working at a chip
factory making 68000's under Motorola license. One day, a commercial
guy came to our technical support office, fuming: he had a discussion
with an Atari representative about a batch of 68000 CPUs
and he was furious because the price asked by Atari ($6 apiece or so)
was about the production price! He made us understand was he thought
about those toy makers who want to buy so cheap and therefore
sacrifice quality.
Then, a few days later, the same commercial guy had a meeting with
an executive from Apple. Serious company, high-end hardware, this would
be a grrreat contract....
The guy came back, almost crying. Apple wanted the 68000's at $5.50 apiece.
"Any similarity with real company would be a far-fetched coincidence."

Come on, Squibby, flame the ST for what it deserves flaming (mostly
week support from Atari), but recognize its good technical standing.

Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              GEnie:
     The College of William and Mary            F.MORA
     Dept. of Computer Science                  INTERNET:
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185                    fjmora@cs.wm.edu
     USA

     * "Was uns nicht toetet, macht uns staerker."                            *
     *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
     *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *

- Come, come, little line eater, I won't harm you (evil grin)...