[comp.sys.atari.st] Object Tree Help Wanted

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (02/26/89)

I have been experimenting with programming using GEM calls and I
ran into a problem I cannot resolve. I tried to set up a dialog
box as follows:

  --------------------------------------
                                       <-- Obj_Type=G_BOX
                                           Obj_Flag=NONE
                                           Obj_State=NORMAL

                      ----------------
                       Click Here     <-- Obj_Type=G_BOXTEXT
 --------------------------------------      Obj_Flag=EXIT
                                             Obj_State=NORMAL

The G_BOX object is the ROOT where:

     Obj_Next=-1    Obj_Head=1      Obj_Tail=1

The G_BOXTEXT is the child where:

     Obj_Next=0     Obj_Head=-1     Obj_Tail=-1

I want to display messages within the dialog box and have the user
skip to the next message by clicking on the G_BOXTEXT object. The
problem I am having is that I cannot figure out the parent-child-
sibling relationship of the G_TEXT objects that I will have to
place within the G_BOX object. Would the new G_TEXT objects be
children of G_BOX? What values for Obj_Next, Obj_Head and
Obj_Tail would I use for these additional objects? HELP, I am
stuck!

rjung@nunki.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (02/27/89)

In article <8902260313.AA04419@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
> [Dialog box diagram deleted]
>
>The G_BOX object is the ROOT where:
>     Obj_Next=-1    Obj_Head=1      Obj_Tail=1
>
>The G_BOXTEXT is the child where:
>     Obj_Next=0     Obj_Head=-1     Obj_Tail=-1
>
>I want to display messages within the dialog box and have the user
>skip to the next message by clicking on the G_BOXTEXT object. The
>problem I am having is that I cannot figure out the parent-child-
>sibling relationship of the G_TEXT objects that I will have to
>place within the G_BOX object. Would the new G_TEXT objects be
>children of G_BOX? What values for Obj_Next, Obj_Head and
>Obj_Tail would I use for these additional objects? HELP, I am
>stuck!

  First piece of advice: Use a resource construction program (RCP). Building
GEM resources by hand is a mind-numbing experience that's no fun for the
average human being.

  Now, if you were to have many G_TEXT objects (strings for your messages)
in your root box, they would be children of the root (since they are _inside_
the box). The G_BOXTEXT button would be another sibling to them. Basically,
your object tree would look something like:

				Root box (G_BOX)
			____________/   \_______________
                       |				|
                       v                                v
                First G_TEXT <--> Next G_TEXT <--:--> G_BOXTEXT
                  string            string               button

  The numeric order doesn't really make a difference.

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. I'm not a guru with the inner mechanics of GEM dialogs; I prefer to stay
in the stratosphere of the RCP. However, I'm pretty sure of what I have up
there.

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)