[comp.sys.atari.st] Zoo/ST status update

daanjj@neabbs.UUCP (DAAN JITTA) (02/25/89)

Recently, I announced a version of Zoo 2.01 for the Atari ST. At that time, I
had asked Rahul Dhesi, the author of the Zoo program, to relax his copyright
restrictements for the ST version of Zoo. In the meantime, he has responded
to my request and I'm now allowed to distribute binary and source separately.
This is a big plus because the Zoo source is big, about 200 Kb (compressed).

For those of you who don't know what Zoo is: Zoo is a file archiver, in my
humble opinion *much* better than ARC. Zoo is -roughly- twice as fast as ARC,
and has several unique features. I name for example Zoo's built-in directory
support: Zoo can be told to record both filename and pathname; it is even
possible to let Zoo create any directory needed when extracting using full
pathnames. Zoo even comes with a special utility, FIZ.TTP, which can be used
to extract as much as possible from corrupted archive. Try that with ARC!

Zoo/ST has one new feature: is is now possible to place the contents of a
complete directory tree in a Zoo archive. In this way, Zoo acts like a
combination of the UNIX utilities "tar" and "compress".

The current version of Zoo/ST is very reliable: around 25 people are
currently using it. I plan to keep Zoo/ST in beta test for another week to
abandon most of the bugs (I expect they still exist 8-)

So, at the end of Februar, I will send the binary (size only 37Kb) to
comp.binaries.atari.st and the diffs to comp.sources.atari.st. The general
Zoo bugs I've found will be posted to comp.sources.bugs RSN.

Someone asked me if Zoo archives can be extracted and listed with the program
Booz, which was posted to comp.binaries.atari.st some time ago. The answer
is: Yes! Booz was only written because the Zoo source is spreaded in a Zoo
archive, so one had to have a small extraction-only tool to bootstrap Zoo!

Finally, it's nice to remark that about 2 days after I uploaded a beta
version of Zoo/ST to some Dutch BBSes, somebody started writing a graphical
shell, much like the very popular ARCSH graphical shell for ARC. When this
program is fully developed, it will be posted to comp.binaries.atari.st as
well. Give "ZOOBOY" a few more weeks...

Daan*                                  / .    .
                                   __ /
                                  (  /  /    /
                                 (__/  /    /      (Daan Josephus Jitta)
                                      /    /
                                   __/  __/

old-fashioned:           modern:
--------------           -------
Bos en Lommerweg 10 ii   UUCP:  ...!mcvax!neabbs!daanjj OR daanjj@neabbs
NL-1055 EB  Amsterdam    Fido:  2:280/1           --   daan jitta
Holland                  Fax:   (+31) 020-763706  --   daan jitta
Tel. (+31) 020-820521    Telex: 12969, NEABS NL, attn: daan jitta

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (02/27/89)

In article <107625@neabbs.UUCP> daanjj@neabbs.UUCP (DAAN JITTA) writes:
>Finally, it's nice to remark that about 2 days after I uploaded a beta
>version of Zoo/ST to some Dutch BBSes, somebody started writing a graphical
>shell, much like the very popular ARCSH graphical shell for ARC. When this
>program is fully developed, it will be posted to comp.binaries.atari.st as
>well. Give "ZOOBOY" a few more weeks...

As the author of ARCGSH I'd like to state that I plan to
integrate a mechanism for calling ZOO from ARCGSH.
Unfortunately I haven't much time currently to do so but some
day it *will* come.

I just received the shar/unshar package in the sources group.
If it works reliably I will also support it with ARCGSH.  (Ok,
the name "ARCGSH" may be a little bit confusing after those
extensions.)

  Rainer Klute                  ----   klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Universitaet Dortmund, IRB    |)|/   klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500               |\|\   ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50              ----   Tel.: +49 231 7554663