[comp.sys.atari.st] Degas and GDOS

FCTY7284@RYERSON.BITNET (Peter Hiscocks) (02/10/89)

No matter what I do, I am completely unable to get the GDOS fonts that came
 with Degas Elite, to load.
From what I gather from the G+ documentation, Degas manual, and other sources,
 these are screen fonts, and they should be an improvement over the fonts that
appear by default in Degas. The assign.sys file is set up properly as far as I
can tell (at least, it points to the right folder), but nothing seems to work.
For what it's worth, I'm using a Mega 2 computer, SH205 hard disc, and SLM804
 laser printer. The presence or absence of G+ seems to have no effect: I always
 get the same Degas default fonts. Even if the Assign.sys file is missing
 altogether.
Any hints will be greatly appreciated. Using Degas and dumping the screens to
the laser is a great way to quickly generate presentation graphics, but the
fonts could be improved: especially at large magnifications.
                                                            Peter

rcd@mtuxo.att.com (XG1V6-R.DUTT) (02/10/89)

In article <8902100419.AA18976@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> (Peter Hiscocks) writes:
> No matter what I do, I am completely unable to get the GDOS fonts that came
>  with Degas Elite, to load.

1) Make sure GDOS.PRG is in your auto folder, and the message indicating
   that GDOS is resident comes up on booting.

2) Your assign.sys should be in the root directory on your boot device,
   and should have a pathname indicating where your font files are.
   Don't use font ids that conflict with those already provided.

3) When Degas Elite comes up, DOUBLE-CLICK in the window which is displaying
   the system font. This will produce a new menu window listing all the
   fonts which GDOS has loaded. Click the font you wish to use.

Rana Dutt	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Middletown	(201) 957-3389
rcd@mtuxo.att.com

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (02/14/89)

In article <8902100419.AA18976@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> FCTY7284@RYERSON.BITNET (Peter Hiscocks) writes:
>No matter what I do, I am completely unable to get the GDOS fonts that came
> with Degas Elite, to load.
>Any hints will be greatly appreciated. Using Degas and dumping the screens to
>the laser is a great way to quickly generate presentation graphics, but the
>fonts could be improved: especially at large magnifications.

I had a similar problem until someone pointed out to me that the fonts
must be available to the system both at *boot* time (when GDOS loads)
and at *run* time.  This means that the directory containing the
fonts, named in the assign.sys file, must be available to GDOS when *it*
loads, and available when you launch DEGAS.

Signature follows.  Hit 'n' now.  You have been warned!

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  uunet.uu.net!sjsca4!greg (Temporarily)
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP: ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
San Jose, CA
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.
And the author wouldn't have it any other way.

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) (02/23/89)

Greg Wageman writes:

>I had a similar problem until someone pointed out to me that the fonts
>must be available to the system both at *boot* time (when GDOS loads)
>and at *run* time.  This means that the directory containing the
>fonts, named in the assign.sys file, must be available to GDOS when *it*
>loads, and available when you launch DEGAS.

If I provide an absolute path (e.g. C:\GDOS.SYS) in assign.sys, will
that make the fonts available at run time?

Also, where can I get a printer driver for DEGAS to run my HP DeskJet?
LaserJet drivers should be compatible.

ron abramson
rona%hpdml93@hplabs.hp.com

rcd@mtuxo.att.com (XG1V6-R.DUTT) (02/24/89)

In article <480021@hpdml93.HP.COM>, rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) writes:
> Also, where can I get a printer driver for DEGAS to run my HP DeskJet?
> LaserJet drivers should be compatible.

If you have access to Genie, there is a program called DJ_DEGAS.TTP
in the ST Software Libraries RT. To find it, do a search for "deskjet"
in that area. You will also find several other deskjet-related drivers
(including ones for Word Writer ST and First Word) and accessories
and much related helpful chit-chat.

Hope this helps.

Rana Dutt
rcd@mtuxo.att.com

P.S. I was unable to find a deskjet driver for Publishing Partner. Does
     anyone know where I can find one? Thanks.

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (03/03/89)

In article <4208@mtuxo.att.com>, rcd@mtuxo.att.com (XG1V6-R.DUTT) writes:
> If you have access to Genie, there is a program called DJ_DEGAS.TTP
> in the ST Software Libraries RT.

While we are on the subject, anyone seen the source code for any
sort of DeskJet driver.  I need it for a non-ST application.
Thanks.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl