[comp.sys.atari.st] Adding A Floppy Drive

cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (Craig B. Ziemer) (03/03/89)

Does anyone have any experience using the ST/PC Drive Cable from E. Arthur
Brown Co.?  This cable supposedly allows you to hook up any IBM compatible
3.5" or 5.25" floppy drive to the ST.  Is this something that I can easily
make myself?  Can I run the second drive off of my existing power supply
somehow?  Any comments appreciated.

*  Craig B. Ziemer              %%      DISCLAIMER: AT&T does not  *
*  AT&T Bell Laboratories     %%%%%%    officially support what I  *
*  Reading, PA                  %%      just said, in fact, they   *
*  UUCP ADDRESS: mhuxu!cbz      %%           rarely do :^)         *

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (03/04/89)

In article <9148@mhuxu.UUCP>, cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (Craig B. Ziemer) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience using the ST/PC Drive Cable from E. Arthur
> Brown Co.?  This cable supposedly allows you to hook up any IBM compatible
> 3.5" or 5.25" floppy drive to the ST.  Is this something that I can easily
> make myself?  Can I run the second drive off of my existing power supply
> somehow?  Any comments appreciated.

Very much in the same vein: I just got a NEC Multispeed MS-DOS laptop (used--
mostly for use as a second terminal to do debugging on the ST).  It has a funny
connector on the back, and there is a claim that it can pretend to be
external floppy drives on a desktop MS-DOS machine.  Can the same thing be
arranged with an ST?  Believe me, it would be the steal of the century if that
portable could pretend to be a pair of double sided drives for my ST.

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (03/06/89)

I saw the ad for the cable in E.Arthur Brown's catalog.  What a rip off!
I bought a PC drive cable kit from Best Electronics for $10!  All it is
is a 3 foot ST drive cable with a bare end, and a 34 pin connector.  you
just line up the cables coming out of the ST cable to the corresponding
pins on the 34 pin connector.  It is a ribbon-type connector, so you
have to push the wire into the pronged end of the connector.  I've built
quite a few cables like this, with no problems.  $40 is outrageous.

By the way, I have a Teac and a Toshiba 3.5 inch drive on my ST, so I
guess the cables work.   :^)

=cf=