[comp.sys.atari.st] problems

schrodin@DMZRZU71.BITNET (08/17/87)

Hi !
Two Problems :
First: Gulam Keyboard
       Usually my 1040-keyboard has german characteristics, i.e.
       Z and Y are changed, many characters are placed different from
       the US-layout.
       If I start gulam.prg, the whole keyboard is changed to  the
       US set. This creates a bit of confusion, for the keys have
       still the german signs on them. If you hit a Z, you get a
       Y on the screen. That keeps me guessing all the time, when
       I use gulam. Where is the "*" ? But I still *like* GULAM.

       Any proposals ?

Second: Who puts TURTLE to LISTSERV at CANADA01 ?

                                        rs

Leopold@UMass.BITNET (03/02/89)

     It is interesting that just now people are mentioning problems with mice,
because I just had one surface on me this week.  This USUALLY happens after
I've been using my machine for a couple of hours, but it's not predictable and
sometimes happens as soon as I turn the machine on.  Moving the pointer with
the mouse (not the key equivalents) will cause it to jerk its way over to the
left side of the screen.  Also, it generates constant keyclicks as if a key is
held down.  I can only presume it is generating the escape key because if I
am in the normal desktop, for instance, with a directory window open, it will
cause it to repeatedly update.  Hitting a key will stop the keyclick, at least
until I move the mouse again.  I can move around normally with the alt-arrow
keys, although sometimes they seem to work more slowly.
     I doubt that it is the mouse itself, because a couple of times while this
has been happening I unplugged the mouse (Yes, I know it's not a good idea to
plug/unplug things from the system when it's on; I try very hard to avoid
that.) and the keyclick continues.
     I thought it might be a broken line in the mouse cord, but I fixed it in
place on it's back with the ball taken out and gently rolled the horizontal
roller with my finger, and I get the same effect.
     Another reason I doubt it is the mouse is because another problem has
simultaneously arisen.  When I first turn my system on after a period of non-
use, it will not even access the drive (I have a 1040), but will display in
low res a string of bombs straight across a white screen.  Turning it off and
then back on it usually proceeds with a normal boot.  Sometimes it will start
to boot and then hang about halfway through.
     Both of these problems I have to live with until the end of the week,
because I have some work I really have to get done, but I'm going to take it
in for service after that.  But I'm just curious if anyone out there has had
similar problems, or if they have opinions or solutions about this one.

     One final request.  I assume this must have been covered in past digests,
so could someone please email me the issues that cover using metafiles in
programs (using ones that have already been created) and the .GEM file format?
I can't find info on it anywhere.
     Sorry this was so long,

     Michael Kieras

P.S.  It isn't loose chips; I've opened up the machine and pushed in every
socketed chip.  Twice.

) (03/06/89)

In article <890301143043BB5.AQIM@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU> Leopold@UMass.BITNET writes:
> [most stuff deleted]
>
>P.S.  It isn't loose chips; I've opened up the machine and pushed in every
>socketed chip.  Twice.

Yes, that does sound painfully similiar to the trouble I had.
In the end (a couple of weeks later), the mouse cursor just went
uncontrollable in all directions. My ST is unusable now.

The repair guy [who usually isn't too bad in fixing things] couldn't find
the problem either, but he is sure that neither one of the 'big chips (*)' is
causing the problem. Well I bought a new computer and try to fix the old ST
myself. I think of replacing the LS244 from the keyboard and the
'Kondensatoren' (I have no idea, what that is in English). I don't have
much hope though.

Just in case someone did fix a similiar problem:
			"How did you do it ?"

(*) MFP, 6850, Keyboardchip.
    ^^^
    He sez, that this is in the majority of cases the problem!
 Georg Wallmann (Natuerlich!)    cgw@trillian.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
 "Lasst dicke Frauen um mich sein"         ...uunet!mcvax!unido!trillian!cgw
 (moving in March/zieht im Maerz um)
 ---------------[ cgw[%trillian]@[ex]unido.<uucp|bitnet> ]------------------