[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought

terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (Eric R. Terrell) (03/02/89)

I have a question about the Atari ST screen-dump (which can be invoked
by typing ALT & HELP at the same time.

My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
printers?  If so, which ones (and how can it tell what kind of printer
is connected)?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Terrell (att!druhi!terrell)

johnnyd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Johnny D) (03/02/89)

In article <3958@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.UUCP (TerrellE) writes:

|My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
|printers?  If so, which ones (and how can it tell what kind of printer
|is connected)?

    The screen dump works fine on my Panasonic 1091i, although I only get
3/4 of the screen since it's an 80 column printer.  As far as I know,
the screen dump should work with any IBM compatible dot matrix printer.

--
           Have a nice day --                 |      John P Dombeck
           It may be your last!               |        <Johnny D>

   "And remember -- Walk on the LEFT side."   | johnnyd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

soohoo@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ken "No Umbrella" Soohoo) (03/02/89)

In article <3958@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.UUCP (TerrellE) writes:

>I have a question about the Atari ST screen-dump (which can be invoked
>by typing ALT & HELP at the same time.
>
>My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
>printers?  If so, which ones (and how can it tell what kind of printer
>is connected)?

I'm _very_ certain that the screen dump works only with Epson printers,
in Monochrome mode, and with the Okimate 20 Color Printer in Color Mode.
BUT for the Atari Laser Printer (SLM804) there's a screen dumper that
steals the Alt-Help and outputs the correct data over the DMA to print
to the laser printer...
--Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu)
  Atari 400/800/600xl/800xl/1200/130xe/65xe/xe game/7800, 1040ST/MEGA hacker
  "It could be worse, you could get hit by a truck..."
  My opinions are my OWN, _not_ necessarily Atari's.

rjung@sal61.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (03/03/89)

In article <1396@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> johnnyd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Johnny D) writes:
>In article <3958@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.UUCP (TerrellE) writes:
>|My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
>|printers?
>
>    The screen dump works fine on my Panasonic 1091i, although I only get
>3/4 of the screen since it's an 80 column printer.  As far as I know,
>the screen dump should work with any IBM compatible dot matrix printer.

  Not necessarily, since the Panasonic 1091 is Epson compatable (at least mine
is).

  And by the way, the reason you're getting 3/4ths of the screen is probably
not due to 80 columns, but because the ST thinks you have 1250 dots across.
Try using the Control Panel to "Set Printer" to 960 dots, and see if that
improves the situation.

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)
  ####  ##  ####

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (03/03/89)

In article <3958@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.UUCP (TerrellE) writes:

|I have a question about the Atari ST screen-dump (which can be invoked
|by typing ALT & HELP at the same time.
|
|My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
|printers?  If so, which ones (and how can it tell what kind of printer
|is connected)?
|

|Thanks in advance,
|

|Eric Terrell (att!druhi!terrell)

This does not work with 24-pin EPSON printers, at least with LQ1000 series.
The ST sends a command (ESC 1) which sets 7/72 inch line spacing.
As 24-pin printers spacing are only 1/60 inch spacing, they do not reco-
gnize this command and so you can't dump screen on them.

Naturally, only experience can tell you this fact (-(-

The needed printer codes are: esc L (graphic data), esc 3 (1/216 spacing),
 esc 1 (1/72 spacing).

    ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
+------------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| IRISA - INRIA                |  EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr                    |
| Campus de Beaulieu           |  					      |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex         |  UUCP  : {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty   |
| FRANCE                       |          decouty@irisa.UUCP                  |
+--------------------------+---+--------------------+-------------------------+
| PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00 | TELEX : 950473 UNIRISA | FAX  : +33  99 38 38 32 |
+--------------------------+------------------------+-------------------------+

jpexg@hermes.ai.mit.edu (John Purbrick) (03/04/89)

> ... for the Atari Laser Printer (SLM804) there's a screen dumper that
> steals the Alt-Help and outputs the correct data over the DMA to print
> to the laser printer...
> --Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu)

How does a program do this? Presumably terminate-and-stay-resident, but how
does it intercept keypresses?

A couple of years ago Moshe Braner (where's he gone?) posted a program which
did this but it shoved the screen into a reserved area of memory he called the
"barrel"; then you could dump the barrel to a Degas file. I'd like to try
writing a program which instead created a .TNY format screen file every time
alt-help was hit.

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (George Seto) (03/04/89)

In article <1396@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, johnnyd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Johnny D) writes:
> In article <3958@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.UUCP (TerrellE) writes:
> |
> |My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
> |printers?  If so, which ones (and how can it tell what kind of printer
> |is connected)?

 The standard (in the ROMs) screen dump routine is for an Epson compatible
 printer. What sort of printer do you have that isn't Epson Compatible?
 From what I understand almost all printers have available an Epson :
 compatible mode. Some of the others are Epson compatible but the dump
 doesn't work properly for one reason or another. There are PD programs
 around which allows the use of the Degas style of printer drivers to
 replace the standard. Also there is a program for the 24 pin printers
 which definitely works for the Star NX2400 printer which gives excellent
 printer dumps.
 I still have a friend looking for a printer driver for GDOS which will
 give better definition for the Star. He has been told of a driver in the
 PD which will work for GDOS for the Nec P6/P7 printers which should work
 for the Star. Has anyone seen these available for download anywhere?

>     The screen dump works fine on my Panasonic 1091i, although I only get
> 3/4 of the screen since it's an 80 column printer.  As far as I know,
> the screen dump should work with any IBM compatible dot matrix printer.

 There is a modification you can make yourself using your control panel
 and then save in the DESKTOP.INF file. One of the settings for the printer
  960 or 1280 bits/pixels per line. Set the printer for the 960 and you
  should be able to see the entire screen dumped.

 Hope that helps.

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless other-   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             wise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

soohoo@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ken "kens" Soohoo) (03/05/89)

In article <3292@hermes.ai.mit.edu> jpexg@hermes.ai.mit.edu (John Purbrick) writes:
>> ... for the Atari Laser Printer (SLM804) there's a screen dumper that
>> steals the Alt-Help and outputs the correct data over the DMA to print
>> to the laser printer...
>> --Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu)
>
>How does a program do this? Presumably terminate-and-stay-resident, but how
>does it intercept keypresses?

John, I'm not sure how this SDUMP program does this itself, but I would
create a terminate & stay res as suggested, and then sit on the keyboard
interrupt vector -- find the appropriate keys in the packet coming in
and just not pass them to the system.  Once you've got contrl there,
you should be able to do anything with the screen... Don't know about the
specifics (use Kbdvbase() to grab the system keyboard vector, that's about
all I know), sorry.

bertram@quando.UUCP (Matthias Bertram) (03/06/89)

In article <3958@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.UUCP (TerrellE) writes:

>I have a question about the Atari ST screen-dump (which can be invoked
>by typing ALT & HELP at the same time.
>
>My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
>printers?  If so, which ones (and how can it tell what kind of printer
>is connected)?

Originally it only works with EPSON compatible printers but there are drivers
e.g. for the NEC P6/7 which are run from the AUTO folder as far as I know.
Hope this helps

Matthias

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (03/07/89)

in article <3292@hermes.ai.mit.edu>, jpexg@hermes.ai.mit.edu (John Purbrick) says:
>> ... for the Atari Laser Printer (SLM804) there's a screen dumper that
>> steals the Alt-Help and outputs the correct data over the DMA to print
>> to the laser printer...
>> --Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu)
>
> How does a program do this? Presumably terminate-and-stay-resident, but how
> does it intercept keypresses?

	You don't have to intercept the keypress data.  There is a
documented low memory vector to the screen dump routine.  All you need
to do is take over that vector, whenever the user presses Alt-HELP your
code will be run.  Check the "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the BIOS", it has
the official list of low memory vectors and variables.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM