[comp.sys.atari.st] cartridge port problems on mega st2 - now also on 1040 ST

jbww@ukc.ac.uk (J.B.W.Webber) (03/08/89)

In article <8903061707.AA18545@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> VDKOOIJ@HDETUD5.BITNET writes:

>we have mega-problems using the cartridge port on our MEGA ST2 and we think
>it is a common problem for all MEGA's with a boardrevision higher than revision
>4. We use the cartridge/ROM-port to read data from an ADC to digitize
>satellite WEFAX-pictures from METEOSAT. The soft- and hardware works fine on a
>MEGA ST2 with a revision-4 board or a 1040STf, but it crashes (with 4 bombs)
>on any MEGA ST2 with a revision-5 board.

	We also have met a problem with our ADC/DAC cartridge,
	but now also on some  Atari 1040 STs.
		(one Serial No. is A1840 3010343 M)
		(the desktop says it is copyright 86,87)
		(some - but not all - the power/disk LEDs are green/yellow)

We have a few different cartridge designs that have worked fine for some
months. A student has just wasted quite a bit of his project time as a
result of this change - by chance he was allocated one of a new batch of
1040 STs just purchased.

The ROM seems to be checking the cartridge for valid code, and then marking
cartridge address space as unused memory when no code is found there
	- no further access to the cartridge can be made.

	A further problem we have noticed is that gemstart
	(i.e. for an autobooting Uniterm terminal) refuses
	to run on these machines, presumably due to ROM changes.

	J.B. Webber	jbww@ukc.ac.uk

 Rm. 15, Physics Lab., University of Kent at Canterbury, Kent. CT2 7NR. U.K.

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (03/09/89)

In article <328@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, jbww@ukc.ac.uk (J.B.W.Webber) writes:
| We also have met a problem with our ADC/DAC cartridge, but now also on
| some Atari 1040 STs.  The ROM seems to be checking the cartridge for
| valid code, and then marking cartridge address space as unused memory
| when no code is found there - no further access to the cartridge can be
| made.

No further access can be made? What happens when you try it? Does it
generate a bus error?
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels