[comp.sys.atari.st] DESKTOP VE

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (03/10/89)

Recently I had a chance to run the CDC application Desktop VE on an ST
under Spectre 128. First, I could not reset the baud rate; the default of
1200 baud could not be changed from the menu options. Second, the system
hung when it entered the X.PC protocol on our NET.

I would love to be able to run DT/VE under Spectre because I have to switch
to NOS/VE on our CDC (NOS is going soon) and I have not got the time to learn
yet another OS. A 1040ST using DT/VE would be a bargain basement front end
to our CDC system and could probably result in the acquisition of a bunch
of STs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to work around the problems. Attached is a copy
of a message sent from CDC; seems they had to work around Mac bugs to get
DT/VE going in the first place.

*** for those who do not know, DT/VE becomes a front end for the CDC file
server and lets the Mac's icon/mouse/menu interface be the controller, i.e.
for basic NOS/VE use one just points and clicks; no VE commands to learn ***

Date:     Thu,  9 Mar 89  08:34:05 CST
From:     JohnD@CDCCentr
          (John Dykstra - CDC Workstation Software)
Subject:  re:  Desktop/VE
To:       01696@AECLCR

If you manage to get Desktop/VE running on the ATARI, I'd like
to know, so that Control Data's Central Software Support group
can keep the information on file.  I don't have much hope though...
We had to work around a number of bugs in various versions of
the Mac ROMs and system software, and I doubt that SPECTRE 128
exactly matches those bugs.

John Dykstra - Operating System Design - Control Data Corporation
     (612) 482-3749                 JohnD@CDCCentr.BITNET