[comp.sys.atari.st] 2 questions

NETWORK@FRSAC11.BITNET (01/27/88)

Date: 26 January 1988, 16:22:23 GMT
From: NETWORK  at FRSAC11
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE

Question #1 : How MWC's msh is discovering who called it ?
 (desktop, or other...) it is in the local shell variable 'calledfrom'.
An other shell is able to tell the list of all parents programs...
The base page does not contain any backward pointer, so what is it ?

Question #2 : I read again the dev kit doc on shell_p, the posting
by A.Pratt about it, and I still wonder : what is it ?
I would infer it is a pointer to a string telling the file name of a shell...
I am right ?
What would be the use otherwise ?

Regards,

Jean-Pierre H. Dumas

network@frsac11 (bitnet)
network%frsac11.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu (arpanet)
dumas@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (arpanet)

dag@chinet.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) (02/03/88)

In article <8801261529.AA03656@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> NETWORK@FRSAC11.BITNET writes:
>Question #1 : How MWC's msh is discovering who called it ?
> (desktop, or other...) it is in the local shell variable 'calledfrom'.
>An other shell is able to tell the list of all parents programs...
>The base page does not contain any backward pointer, so what is it ?

The answer to this is that msh looks at the environment strings to determine
whether a the MWC environment is already there and if it is, it determines
how it was run, otherwise, it figures that it must be the desktop.  It
can check for \auto because the GEM stuff is not set up yet.

There is, in fact, a 'backward' pointer to the parent process basepage
in the program basepage.  This is documented in the include file
'basepage.h' supplied with Mark Williams C, though not in the manual.
It is at offset 0x24 from the beginning of the basepage.  There is a
LOT of information in the basepage that was not initially documented
by Atari.

[Question #2 omitted]

--
Nobody at the place where I work	Daniel A. Glasser
knows anything about my opinions	...!ihnp4!chinet!dag

elixir@m-net.UUCP (Rodney Fulk) (03/11/89)

Hello one and all,}i
I am in need of a command processor that can handle batch files andthe
error code levels that are passed back from a program.
(Ie if I run program A from the command processor I want to return an error
condition and branch on that error code to another batch file or another
within the same bacth file..
It also must be able to exit from its self unattended.
Pcommand will do this for me but it doesnt ve an exit routine that you
dont have to hit return with.
I used to use gulam but I forgot how to use gulam with error codes returned
from programs.
I know anyone running citadel (Or STadel) should be able to help
me out.
I KNOW gulam will work but it DOES take up alot of memory doesn't it?

If I could find something that will work I would appreciate it..
WEven just knowing how to use the error levels to branch to other commands
from gulam will work for now.