[comp.sys.atari.st] SM124 Diminishing Screen

glk2017@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/16/89)

	Anyone know how to correct a SM124 monitor where pixels
	become closer together as the screen scans right,
	i.e. my mouse arrow is a line on the right character
	position...

	Thanks, Spieu!

remco@tnoibbc.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) (02/20/89)

In article <46300017@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> glk2017@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	Anyone know how to correct a SM124 monitor where pixels
>	become closer together as the screen scans right,
I experience the same problem, but sometimes when I switch the
machine off and on the screen looks fine. Is this some hardware
init error ?

Remco

 Remco Bruijne      USENET: remco@tnoibbc    PHONE: +31 15 606437

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/23/89)

In article <1052@tnoibbc.UUCP> remco@tnoibbc.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) writes:
> In article <46300017@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> glk2017@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> >
> >	Anyone know how to correct a SM124 monitor where pixels
> >	become closer together as the screen scans right,
> I experience the same problem, but sometimes when I switch the
> machine off and on the screen looks fine. Is this some hardware
> init error ?

No, it's not the ST hardware.  It's good old analog electronics.  Your
screen's horizontal adjustment is off.  To fix it you would have to open
your monitor, and there are lots of nasties which can get you when you
do.  Have a TV type or dealer fix this for you.  It's trivial, but you
have to know where to look.

glk2017@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/23/89)

From thomash@en.ecn.purdue.edu Mon Feb 20 09:22:08 1989
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 89 10:19:58 EST
From: thomash@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Thomas Hatfield)
To: glk2017@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: sm124

   The screen can be adjusted by the following:

       Centering: High voltage yoke (rear of tube)
       Focus: VR703 (a test pattern of %'s works well)
       Brightness: VR301
       Vertical size: VR602
       Vertical linearity: VR603
       Horiz. size: L702
       Horiz. lin: L703    <--- (try this one first)

    All adjustments should be made to yield best overall picture...

--===<<<< WARNING HIGH VOLTAGE!!! >>>>===--

Thomas A. Hatfield            "If you don't make dust....you eat dust!"

Box 1055 Cary Quad ====-----> (no I'm not a freshman I'm a EE grad)
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47906      thomash@ed.ecn.purdue.edu

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (03/10/89)

      A question was raised regarding the SM124's shifting of the screen
to the right, SOMETIMES, and its being normal (centered properly) other
times probably when the system is rebooted.  I also get that here on my
monitor.  The problem seems that the 'picture' on the monitor is never in
the same position per bootup.  Allam Pratt summed up the fix with:

"No, it's not the ST hardware.  It's good old analog electronics.  Your
screen's horizontal adjustment is off.  To fix it you would have to open
your monitor, and there are lots of nasties which can get you when you
do.  Have a TV type or dealer fix this for you.  It's trivial, but you
have to know where to look."

     If only this was so.  Adjusting the horizontal position of the
picture is good for only THAT bootup.  It will, alas, shift again during
another bootup.  The only real solution is to adjust, reboot, adjust
and reboot again.  Get the picture position in a good compromised
location.
     I'm really picky about this because I reside at a university
where Macs rule.  I run Spectre 128 and am frequently demoing the ST.
I always want my SM124 to be at top shape.  There's not anything that
*I* can do about the shifting, but averaging the postion seems to help.

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

35002_3025@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/11/89)

In article <890309.10354523.009357@SFA.CP6>, Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

>       A question was raised regarding the SM124's shifting of the screen
> to the right, SOMETIMES, and its being normal (centered properly) other
> times probably when the system is rebooted.  I also get that here on my
> monitor.  The problem seems that the 'picture' on the monitor is never in
> the same position per bootup.  Allam Pratt summed up the fix with:

I, too, am having the same problem.  My local dealer suggested that the horror-
zontal hold was off.  For me, it only happens occassionally, and a re-boot will
cure it.  I am sure that the problem can be fixed if I had the horror-zontal
hold fixed - but that costs money and time....

Kevin-john Conway
...a librarian from hell...

University of Western Ontario
London Canada
"...deviants from the norm..."

"My ideas may be silly, but I'm not.  I'm positively skewed!"

35002_3025@uwovax.uwo.ca
conway@uwovax.bitnet
kjc@uwovax.bitnet