[comp.sys.atari.st] GDOS font format and more fonts questions

clj@ksr.UUCP (Chris Jones) (03/09/89)

Can someone describe the GDOS font file format (a C header file would probably
be great)?  Unless I'm missing it in the documentation available to me (MWC
2.0.1, Sozobon C, Abacus GEM and Internals, and ProGEM), my only references to
this documentation say to look in "the VDI manual", which I assume is part of
the Atari developer's kit.  (If I'm missing it, a pointer to read chapter
such-and-such would do.)

Several random related points.  What I'm trying to do is add characters to the
font files shipped with Timeworks DTP.  Since the characters I'm most
interested in are Spanish alphabet characters, I don't think I'd have a problem
contorting existing characters into the appropriate format given I knew what
the format is.  I'm correct, right, in believing these characters aren't
available in the distributed fonts.

Also, I've seen references in STart and other places praising G+Plus.  Does
anyone have a quick review of this?  I understand it's faster than GDOS (does
it have higher quality (i.e. fewer bugs and/or increased performance)?), though
I don't find GDOS's speed to be real annoying (I don't use a lot of graphics in
DTP, which I understand is a big part of the problem).  Also, how much should I
want to get Fontz, given that increasing my supply of fonts is a desire, but I
won't steal them (I have access to Macintoshes, so if there are good PD fonts
available for them, that's a plus).

clj@ksr.UUCP (Chris Jones) (03/10/89)

  From:  Chris Jones <clj>
  Date: Wed, 08 Mar 89 23:35:31 EST

  Can someone describe the GDOS font file format (a C header file would
  probably be great)?  Unless I'm missing it in the documentation available to
  me (MWC 2.0.1, Sozobon C, Abacus GEM and Internals, and ProGEM), my only
  references to this documentation say to look in "the VDI manual", which I
  assume is part of the Atari developer's kit.  (If I'm missing it, a pointer
  to read chapter such-and-such would do.)

(Replying to my own request).  I found some help in the MWC linea.h file, but
it doesn't look like I really have enough information from there to do what I
want.  Info on G+Plus and Fontz also still desired, thank-you.

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (03/11/89)

|Also, I've seen references in STart and other places praising G+Plus.  Does
|anyone have a quick review of this?  I understand it's faster than GDOS (does
|it have higher quality (i.e. fewer bugs and/or increased performance)?), though
|I don't find GDOS's speed to be real annoying (I don't use a lot of graphics in
|DTP, which I understand is a big part of the problem).
|----------

I received my copy of G+Plus last night (along with LDW Power). I fired  up
LDW Power with GDOS and it was pretty snappy re-displaying when paging and
scrolling. I installed G+Plus and it was noticeably faster. I put G+Plus into
"solid" mode and it was faster still - i.e. damn fast! My initial impression
is very favorable for both programs.

The curious thing is that LDW states that GDOS is necessary only for saving
spreadsheets and printing graphs. What's GDOS doing the rest time - getting
in the way?

G+Plus comes with a manual that might as well be called "All You Ever Wanted
to Know About GDOS But Were Afraid to Ask". As if that wasn't enough, there's
also a disk file that expounds further!

I'll be installing G+Plus on my Easy Draw disk next and that should prove
interesting!

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/11/89)

Chris Jones asks about GDOS fonts, and how to modify them...

Yes.. by all means, if you're going to be working with GDOS fonts at all,
you're going to need FONTZ...   it will allow you to add those Spanish
characters to the existing font..  *easily*

It's ability to import and edit fonts created on other machines, notably the
Mac, is also invaluable.

Other than the Public Domain font editor GEMFED, Fontz is the only GDOS font
editor I'm aware of..

BobR

keithj@ux1.lbl.gov (Keith J Groves) (03/14/89)

I too have used G+Plus quite extinsively and found it to be an

excellent program...one of the best I`ve seen yet for the ST.  I

use it rather frequently during my Easydraw sessions and have

noticed a markedly favorable increase in screen updates.  I would

definitely recommend giving this program a trial run.

                                    Keith Groves