[comp.sys.atari.st] Wren I disk drive

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (03/14/89)

From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

 jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil.UUCP writes...

> I have a basic question along the same line as this thread is going, (I
> think).  I have the chance to get a CDC WREN-I 36 Meg drive.  Qustion:
> Is this drive (it is supposed to have an ST-506 interface) compatible with
> the ICD or Supra adapters and if so, which controller will I need for it?
> Please reply soon, as I need to close the deal for the drive ASAP.
>   Thanks for any tips, warnings or encouragement!   Jeff Long

The Wren I will work just fine. I put together my first hard drive about a
month ago using the Supra adaptor ($99.95), Adaptec 4000A SCSI controller
from Timeline ($60) and a CDC Wren I. It formatted down to about 31 MB.
The Wren is not in Supra's menu, so you should write down the following
numbers and use them:

	Heads			5
	Cylinders		697
	Interleave		1
	Reduced Write		698
	Write pre-comp		128
	Landing zone		698
	Step pulse rate		4
	Reserved tracks		0

I got this data from a CDC technician.

/*
 * UUCP: {uunet!rosevax,amdahl!bungia,chinet,killer}!orbit!thelake!steve
 * ARPA: crash!orbit!thelake!steve@nosc.mil
 * #member <STdNET> The ST Developers Network
 */