[comp.sys.atari.st] Info wanted on new Atari portable - the PC-Folio

sandro@nlm-mcs.arpa (Michael D'Alessandro) (03/17/89)

Is there anyone who is at CEBIT who has seen the new Atari handheld
portable called the PC-Folio?  This machine uses an 80C88, is 4"x8"
in size and has a 40 character x 8 line display.

Can anyone tell me if it has a real full travel keyboard, or just a
chiclet keyboard?  Does it have an RS-232 port?  Any builtin software?
How about price?   I'm interested to learn more about this machine...

Michael
--
Michael D'Alessandro
The National Library of Medicine

fraga@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Eric S Fraga) (03/18/89)

In article <9128@nlm-mcs.arpa> sandro@nlm-mcs.arpa (Michael D'Alessandro) writes:
>Is there anyone who is at CEBIT who has seen the new Atari handheld
>portable called the PC-Folio?  This machine uses an 80C88, is 4"x8"
>in size and has a 40 character x 8 line display.
>
>Can anyone tell me if it has a real full travel keyboard, or just a
>chiclet keyboard?  Does it have an RS-232 port?  Any builtin software?
>How about price?   I'm interested to learn more about this machine...

I wasn't at CEBIT, nor have I seen one of these machines, but I
did run across an article on what probably is the same machine in
the Sunday Times.  To quote:

	"... The Pocket pc weighs less than half a kilo, unfolds
as a screen and qwerty keyboard and has credit-card size memories
for removable files instead of floppy discs.  It is compatible
with an IBM pc, comes complete with software enabling it to be
used for text editing, spreadsheets, or as a diary or address
book, and costs #200 [[pounds sterling which would be app.
$CDN415 or $US350, give or take -- esf]].  It runs for six weeks
on standard AA batteries, or can be used with a mains adaptor.
... The Pocket pc is being marketed by Californian giant Atari,
and manufactured in Japan and Taiwan. ...  The sales target is
500,000 units in the first year."

Sounds interesting.  Pity if it's true that the screen is only
8x40.  I have a Model 100 and that's its most annoying feature...

Anyway, hope this answers some of the questions.

eric

|Eric S Fraga, Department of Computer Science, University of British Columbia|
|phone: +1 604 228 4907, fraga@tennents.cs.ubc.ca | fraga@tennents.cs.ubc.cdn|