[comp.sys.atari.st] Measuring HD performance

broode@orion.cf.uci.edu (Brian Roode) (03/21/89)

     I've asked this question before with no response but with all the
discussion on HD's, I thought I'd ask it again!

     Does anyone know of a program which measures the performance of
a hard disc on an Atari ST?  (for the purpose of optimizing the
interleave factor & thus the performance of the disc)

     Also, does anyone know of a backup program which will save an
entire disc partition to floppies like the MS-DOS BACKUP program does?

     Most of the programs I've seen simply copy all HD files to floppies
and get confused with files which are larger than the size of a single
floppy.

Thanks in advance for any information...

brian

Internet: broode@orion.cf.uci.edu

al@tolerant.UUCP (Albert Palmer) (03/21/89)

ICD has a program called ratehd that will test all drives on your system
and give kbyte/sec and msec.  They placed it in the public domain.  It
will work with all host adapters.

al palmer

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/22/89)

ICD just released a program into the PD called HDRATE which very
accuratley measures a hard drives performance as a data transfered
rate and a seek time rate.  My Seagates run at 550 Kps and 30ms where
my old MiniScribe ran at 375 Kps and 62ms.

Dave Small has a program in the April (??) iss ue of START magazine
that is a Partition Copy program - fast too, will do a 20meg imagine
copy to another HD in 80 seconds!!

Peter Szymonik

remco@tnoibbc.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) (03/22/89)

In article <4042@tolerant.UUCP> al@tolerant.UUCP (Albert Palmer) writes:
>ICD has a program called ratehd that will test all drives on your system
>and give kbyte/sec and msec.  They placed it in the public domain.  It
>will work with all host adapters.
>
>al palmer
If it *is* PD, could a copy be placed into comp.binaries.atari.st ?
I think my interleave factor is not optimal ...

Thanks,

Remco
 Remco Bruijne      USENET: remco@tnoibbc    PHONE: +31 15 606437