[comp.sys.atari.st] need help uploading to unix

drc@beach.cis.ufl.edu (David Cabana) (03/14/89)

I am trying to send a text file from my ST to a host running unix.
So far I have had no luck with either xmodem or kermit.  I have
had no problem downloading with either one.  I am using Uniterm
as my terminal emulator, and the text file was generated using
micro-emacs.  When I try to upload all I get are NOACK's.  I am
rather new at this and would be grateful for any help.
			Thanks,
			drc

scksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean C. Kelly) (03/14/89)

In article <19913@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> drc@beach.cis.ufl.edu writes:
>I am trying to send a text file from my ST to a host running unix.
>So far I have had no luck with either xmodem or kermit.  ...
> [and am having troubles] ...

I also had the same problems here with our Suns, except with the 2400 baud
modem connected to one of our main fileserver's (Jupiter's) /dev/ttyd0.
The problems all stemmed from the Cisco Terminal Multiplexor that was used.
If your Unix (tm of AT&T) is accessed through one of these babies or through
something similar, it is necessary (it is here, at least) to set download
mode on the Multiplexor (typing `set download.mode') BEFORE logging in,
and using rlogin protocol instead of Telnet protocal to select a host (in
my case, the name of the Sun I wanted to use), by typing `rlogin host'
Then uploads and downloads preceeded nicely and error-free.

--
Sean Kelly                                  "I am not a number ...
scksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu                           I am a free man!"

mike@ncrcpx.UUCP (Mike Reiss) (03/14/89)

In article <19913@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> drc@beach.cis.ufl.edu writes:
>I am trying to send a text file from my ST to a host running unix.
>So far I have had no luck with either xmodem or kermit.  I have
>had no problem downloading with either one.  I am using Uniterm
>as my terminal emulator, and the text file was generated using
>micro-emacs.  When I try to upload all I get are NOACK's.  I am
>rather new at this and would be grateful for any help.
>			Thanks,
>			drc

I have had this same problem at times also.  I have played around with it
and I have only one sure fire solution that works every time.  If anyone
has a better solution, I like to hear it also.

My solution is send a short file from the Unix box to the ST first.  Then
I am able to send the file I want to send from the ST to the UNIX box.

I would love to find a simpler way.  I thought only I had this problem.
I guess I'm glad to hear that I am not.

mike

remco@tnoibbc.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) (03/16/89)

In article <1821842@ncrcpx.UUCP> mike@ncrcpx.Cambridge.NCR.COM (Mike Reiss) writes:
>In article <19913@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> drc@beach.cis.ufl.edu writes:
>>I am trying to send a text file from my ST to a host running unix.
>> ....[STUFF DELETED]
>
>I have had this same problem at times also.  I have played around with it
>  ....[STUFF DELETED AGAIN]
>My solution is send a short file from the Unix box to the ST first.  Then

Same problem here and same solution; it must be a problem with UNITERM,
because I do not have the problem with other kermits. I once sent a mail
about this to Simon Poole, but got no answer (but then, our mailer didn't
work properly at that time).
My version of UNITERM is 2.0d; maybe this helps

Remco
 Remco Bruijne      USENET: remco@tnoibbc    PHONE: +31 15 606437

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (03/18/89)

In article <1821842@ncrcpx.UUCP> mike@ncrcpx.Cambridge.NCR.COM (Mike Reiss) writes:
>In article <19913@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> drc@beach.cis.ufl.edu writes:
>>I am trying to send a text file from my ST to a host running unix.
>>So far I have had no luck with either xmodem or kermit.
>>                                       ....I am using Uniterm
>>as my terminal emulator, and the text file was generated using
>>micro-emacs.  When I try to upload all I get are NOACK's.  I am
>>rather new at this and would be grateful for any help.

>My solution is send a short file from the Unix box to the ST first.  Then
>I am able to send the file I want to send from the ST to the UNIX box.

>I would love to find a simpler way.  I thought only I had this problem.
>I guess I'm glad to hear that I am not.

This was a problem that poped up suddenly in UniTerm 2.0e (002) (I think)
and went away  just as mysteriously in the next version, don't ask me
why (it was definitly not related to a bug in the code, and never happend
on my machine).

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg) (03/22/89)

I had the same problem and solved it. When UniTerm sends the first
Send-Init packet, there are two garbage characters at the end of it.
One of them was a BACKSPACE. If that goes over a PAD or other editing
device, the backspace destroys the packet.

Kloppenburg@kmx.gmd.dbp.de
kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP