[comp.sys.atari.st] modem problems

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (03/22/89)

I bought a used 1040st system from someone.  Included in this package
deal was a 1200 baud Avatex modem.  I saw this person using the system
before I packed it up and I didn't notice any problems but as soon as
I brought the system home and set it up I had problems.

The problem is not that serious its just annoying.  Whenever I use the modem
to connect I get the characters '}i' periodically in my text.  The host
computer doesn't seem to notice anything wrong.  These extra characters
seem to appear about once every minute or so.  Occasionally the characters
'ok' appear and sometimes a line of garbage comes in.

Any suggestions?

dav

                                                                 _
"Shadow, do something!  Those flying       Morpheous            / \
 birds are going to get us!"               Psimon              / _ \
                                           shadow master      / //\ \
"O.k., o.k., I'll cast                      Dav El II        / // \\ \
 Transmute Roc to mud."                                     / /____\\ \
                                           We are the      /________\\ \
                                           warrior spirit. \__________\/

In article <12724@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>  I (William David Haas) wrote:
>The problem is not that serious its just annoying.  Whenever I use the modem
>to connect I get the characters '}i' periodically in my text.  The host
>computer doesn't seem to notice anything wrong.  These extra characters
>seem to appear about once every minute or so.  Occasionally the characters
>'ok' appear and sometimes a line of garbage comes in.

A lot of people have suggested that the problem is line noise.  On a whim
last night I decoded HPTERM and did not have this problem at all!  Up til
now I have been using the vt52 desk acc to connect.  I also had the
problem with one of the old versions of uniterm.  I will download and test
2.0e tonight.

Does anyone out there know of another desk acc terminal?  I love the
convienience of a desk acc but I hate the '}i's.  The vt52 I was
using is the latest one from him1 (in ACC_1087.ARC).

                                                                 _

35002_3025@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/23/89)

In article <12724@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:

> I bought a used 1040st system from someone.  Included in this package
> deal was a 1200 baud Avatex modem.  I saw this person using the system
> before I packed it up and I didn't notice any problems but as soon as
> I brought the system home and set it up I had problems.
>
> The problem is not that serious its just annoying.  Whenever I use the modem
> to connect I get the characters '}i' periodically in my text.  The host
> computer doesn't seem to notice anything wrong.  These extra characters
> seem to appear about once every minute or so.  Occasionally the characters
> 'ok' appear and sometimes a line of garbage comes in.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> dav
>
>                                                                  _
> "Shadow, do something!  Those flying       Morpheous            / \
>  birds are going to get us!"               Psimon              / _ \
>                                            shadow master      / //\ \
> "O.k., o.k., I'll cast                      Dav El II        / // \\ \
>  Transmute Roc to mud."                                     / /____\\ \
>                                            We are the      /________\\ \
>                                            warrior spirit. \__________\/

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (03/23/89)

The problem you are having with the Avatex modem is not uncommon.
A few years ago when Avatex modems were quite popular with Atarians, a
number of us Avatex owners had this problem.  We narrowed it down to the
modem itself.  It seemed that when the modem was connected to a Hayes
modem, it would send the same bad character every 16 seconds or so.  We
settled on the explaination that it is a design flaw in the Avatex
modem, and had to live with it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  It's annoying, but there isn't
anything you can do about it short of getting a different modem.  Be
sure not to backspace over the bad characters though, because the host
does not get them and you will backspace over what came right before the
garbage characters.

=cf=
"A very former Avatex owner"

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (03/23/89)

In article <12724@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:
>The problem is not that serious its just annoying.  Whenever I use the modem
>to connect I get the characters '}i' periodically in my text.

}}iThis is}}}ii th{ie classi{{ic noi{{i~xx~~~sy line problem}}ri.
Crappy telephone connections produce }i's.  There is some Hayes AT command
to ask the modem what it thinks the line quality is.  I forget, however,
what it is.

-scott