[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari sticks, Atari computers

rjung@sal36.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (03/24/89)

In article <2905@kalliope.rice.edu> bro@titan.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) writes:
> [Talk of one person's problems with _Elite_ deleted]
>
>Secondly, I remember reading about certain types of joysticks PUT OUT BY ATARI
>that could be used OK, but prevented the machine from booting correctly, so
>that you had to unplug them, boot the machine, then plug them in again.

  I posted such a problem about 8 months ago. Seems the Atari 7800's
"Proline" joysticks don't work with the Atari ST's, and cause all sorts of
problems (Can't boot the computer, can'tmove around properly, etc.). I'm not
a hardware person, but I think the Proline stick has extra wiring to support a
second button, and that's what causes the problems with the ST.

  The moral? Don't use the Proline on the ST. Pity, though, because it sure
is a nice-looking stick.

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. Yes, both are made by Atari Corp. (If the stick was made by Atari Games,
I could understand the incompatability bit, but...)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)