[comp.sys.atari.st] ALTERNATIVE MICE

hendrick@fozzy.UUCP (Bill Hendricks) (02/23/89)

Wouldn't the Commodore mouse be a likely suspect as a
replacement/alternative to our Atari ST mouse?

The one problem (there *has* to be a problem, of course :-))
would be that the connector doesn't seem to fit directly
in to the ST...it seems the Commodore mouse has a larger
"head" over the actual connector, prohibiting insertion.
However, a simple extension might circumvent this problem.

I'm unable at this time to vouch for the electrical
compatibility, however.  Perhaps in the near future I'll
post this.

I was gratified to read the posting regarding the use of
the MicroSoft mouse, including the wiring translation.
My problem there is that the dealers around here want
about $100 for it; I think the Commodore mouse goes for
about $80 at Sears.

Regards,
Bill

hendrick@fozzy.UUCP (Bill Hendricks) (02/23/89)

Well, I went right out and bought a Commodore 1351 mouse last night,
(at Toys R Us, for $39.88!) and raced home to try it. <grin>

I checked the pinout assignments of the ST mouse (found in the ST
owner's manual) against those of the Comm. mouse, and was happy to
see that they are identical. <grin>

So, after carefully carving approx. 1/8" of plastic from the opening
around the mouse connector on the ST, I plugged in the C= mouse...
no go. <frown>

Reading the Commodore doc, I found that this mouse has two modes of
operation: joystick and proportional...neither of which is compatible
with the ST. <frown>

I *was* able to swap the guts of the Commodore mouse with those of
the ST mouse, and with some finagling, got the ST hardware working
inside the (IMHO) preferable Comm. mouse housing.  However, that does
not address the problem of a direct replacement for a faulty ST
mouse.  Sorry.

So much for that idea.  Maybe I'll look into the possibility of the
Amiga mouse working, assuming it's different from the 1351.

Has anyone out there already done this?

Regards,
Bill

richb@ozvax.GWD.TEK.COM (Richard Bousquet) (02/28/89)

In article <270@fozzy.UUCP> hendrick@fozzy.UUCP (Bill Hendricks) writes:

>Wouldn't the Commodore mouse be a likely suspect as a
>replacement/alternative to our Atari ST mouse?
>
>I was gratified to read the posting regarding the use of
>the MicroSoft mouse, including the wiring translation.
>My problem there is that the dealers around here want
>about $100 for it; I think the Commodore mouse goes for
>about $80 at Sears.
>
>Regards,
>Bill

If you try the MicroSoft mouse you you would find the $20
difference to be minimal.  The feel of the MicroSoft mouse
is just clearly superior to other mice in that price range!

And, by the way, I do not work for MicroSoft or am in any way
related to them - just an impressed consumer.  I am, of course,
referring to the MicroSoft II mouse (the rounded white one).

Regards,
Richard

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (03/16/89)

     Radio Shack has a serial mouse for $49.00 that has a great feel to
it.  It fits the hand much better than the ST mouse and the buttons aren't
as stiff.  However, I think before I change from the Atari mouse that I'd
like to get an optical one but admit not knowing if it would work or not.
     At any rate, I notice that the Radio Shack mouse does not have the
same pin configuration as the Microsoft one.  In fact, it is only using
five of the nine pins that are available on its connector.
     Jeff Beadles, I've tried replying to your message in which you
explained the mouse setup but my messages keep bouncing back.  SIGH.  We
are needing to use SERIAL mice, right?

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

nobody@tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM (-for inetd server command) (03/18/89)

In article <890316.08534234.014695@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

[Stuff deleted about Radio Shack mice]

Well, since several people have had problems getting email to me, I'll
respond here.  (Sorry everyone else! :-) 'n' if you want...

>     Jeff Beadles, I've tried replying to your message in which you
>explained the mouse setup but my messages keep bouncing back.  SIGH.  We
>are needing to use SERIAL mice, right?

NO!  The Atari ST uses a buss mouse.  All Microsoft mice are buss-style
internally.  They use an in-line adapter to convert it to a serial interface
if needed.  Here's the differences when you but a Microsoft Buss mouse,
or a Microsoft Serial mouse:
(I'm talking about the Microsoft mouse that is white, with two buttons.
It's oval, and fits the hand rather nicely.  On the bottom, it says:
"InPort (tm) Mouse".)

				Microsoft	BUSS 	SERIAL
The "Mouse" itself				X	X
(It is the EXACT SAME "MOUSE")

A "Buss" card for a PC  			X

A Buss -> serial converter				X
(This is a small box, around 1x1x3 (inches))

Two serial cables.  (One 25 pin, and one 9 pin)		X

Some silly IBM-PC software & drivers		X	 X
(Not needed for the ST.)

NOTE:  They sometimes try to sell expensive programs with the mouse, like
CAD programs, PC-Pain brush, etc.  Get the cheapest one you can (unless you
want the software :-)

I own an Atari ST, and my wife has a PC clone (Tandy 3000).  She has a
"Serial" mouse.  I bought a "buss" mouse for my ST.  We've traded mice with
no ill effect.  Either mouse will work on either computer, buss or serial.

To reach me via email, here's several paths:

uucp:	 ..uunet!tektronix!quark.wv!jeff
Internet: jeff@quark.wv.tek.com
CSnet:	  jeff%quark.wv.tek.com@RELAY-CSNET
If all else fails,

Jeff Beadles
Tektronix, Inc.
M/S 61-215
P.O. Box 1000
Wilsonville, Or.  USA  97077-1000

Best of luck,

	-Jeff Beadles

viljanen@kreeta.cs.Helsinki.FI (Lea Viljanen) (03/24/89)

In article <890316.08534234.014695@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

>     Radio Shack has a serial mouse for $49.00 that has a great feel to
>it.  It fits the hand much better than the ST mouse and the buttons aren't
>as stiff.  However, I think before I change from the Atari mouse that I'd
>like to get an optical one but admit not knowing if it would work or not.

It will work. I've briefly seen an optical mouse connected to the ST.
The glimpse was very short and I can't remember what optical mouse was
it, but as far as I could see, the wiring was very simple. If there is
sufficient interest, I could find out more about it.

>Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

Lea 'LadyBug' Viljanen           ____     University of Helsinki, Finland
viljanen@finuha.bitnet       \  / . '     Dept. of Computer Science
viljanen@cs.helsinki.fi       \/  |_      'Small is beautiful'