[comp.sys.atari.st] 68000 reference book

UNCSPL@UNC.BITNET ("Scott P Leslie") (03/24/89)

Hello,
   Someone asked about a good reference for 68000 assembly language.
I have "68000 Programming" (or something like that) by Steve Williams.
It is published by Sybex Books, and it's orange (you can't miss it).
This has a great discussion on each instruction the 68000, 68010 can
use.  It also has sample programs.  The only thing a 68000 programmer
would really need in addition to this book would be a list showing the
execution times of various instructions.
--
Hope this helps,
Scott P. Leslie (UNCSPL@UNC)                                   Jax

c08_d102@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Stdnt102) (03/25/89)

In article <8903231712.AA14757@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
	UNCSPL@UNC.BITNET ("Scott P Leslie") writes:
>   Someone asked about a good reference for 68000 assembly language.
>I have "68000 Programming" (or something like that) by Steve Williams.
>It is published by Sybex Books, and it's orange (you can't miss it).
>Scott P. Leslie (UNCSPL@UNC)                                   Jax

     So, it's been a while, but here's a summary of the replies to my
request way back when for 68000 references:

	a)	Motorola 68000 Data Book
	b)	Motorola 68000 Data Book
	c)	Sybex 68000 Programming Guide (reply above)

     What an overwhelming response!  Anyway, I've just found the address and
telephone number for the Motorola literature division, so I'll be getting the
data book from them.  A few weeks ago somebody told me the University bookstore
was selling copies of the Sybex book for $2, there were two copies left, oh,
and there's a couple of the GEM books, too, so off I rushed... And, of course,
by the time I got there, the 68000 books were gone... The bookstore was quite
willing to sell me one of the copies on the shelves for $24.95... Bah.

     I ended up purchasing the HiSoft Devpac 2 ST, because it has most of the
features of AssemPro, a very good manual, and a set of features which make it
particularly useful for Lattice C users.  The linker is an extended version of
the GST linker (and was itself written in Lattice C), the debugger is simply
incredible, and the assembler itself will accept MetaComCo Macro Assembler
files with few changes.  The package includes a very good text editor
(although still, in my opinion, not as good as Tempus) from which the
assembler and debugger can be run, in addition to stand-alone versions
of the debugger and assembler.  The main differences from Assempro which
stand out in my mind are the much better documentation, the ability to
generate standard object files (both DRI .O and GST .BIN), the lack of the
ability to simulate a 68020 (big deal), and the lack of an extensive
disassembler (although I haven't checked the debugger out enough to see if
the difference is really major).

     So, thanks to those who replied (or tried to reply; I've no doubt our
mailer has denied my existence to every third person who has tried to send
me mail in the past two years).  Here's hoping you find this info useful...

Jared J. Brennan <ins_bjjb@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu> or <c08_d102@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUNIX,JHUVMS		ARPA: ins_bjjb%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_bjjb	"What's up, Spock?"