[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari's Mouse replacement policy

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/21/89)

Prepare for a minor flame...<grin>

I bought a brand spanking new Mega 2ST in December and have been
thrilled with it, but as things always happen, my mouse started to
kick the bucket last week.  This weekend it was on its last legs.
No simple cleaning will cure its ills, the electronics are definitely
shot.  This is an ex-mouse.

Digging out my warranty and receipt I noticed that the system was
still under warranty!  I called the store where I bought the computer
from and was told that they do not sell or have the mouse seperately
but it only comes packaged with the computer and that I should call
Atari about replacement.  The nightmare begins.

I called Atari and waited longer than I ever have to get through to
Customer Relations.  There I was informed that I should send the
mouse back with a copy of the receipt and a new mouse will be sent
back to me, and oh, by the way...the current turn around is about
six weeks.

Huh??  SIX WEEKS!?!  No no no, you don't understand, I run a business
with my ST, my girlfriend does all of her business correspondence and
work on this here ST, I **NEED** a new mouse and I need it NOW!

I explained that I would gladly pay for a new mouse with my VISA card
and that I would personally arrange to have Federal Express pick up the
mouse from Atari and have it delivered to my door COMPLETELY AT MY
EXPENSE.  I would send the old dead mouse back to them and when it
arrived they could simply issue me a credit for the purchase price of
the new mouse on my VISA account.

Having made my way to Mr. Dave Director, who was very kind, he
informed me that the turn around was actually about 5-7 days (thats
better) and that since Atari had no access to credit card account
information so there would be no way for them to verify the charge.

i.e. I would have to send in the old mouse before they sent the new
one out.  Having sent the old mouse back to them UPS Red Label he
would arrange for my new mouse to go out the door the same day and
sent back to me UPS Red Label - at my expense (about $25 total last
time I checked.)

Now while this solution is acceptable, it still entails three days
down time without a mouse.  Yes I could use the keyboard equivalents,
but that would last about half an hour before I started pounding on
the keyboard.  And using Spectre (where my girlfriend does all her
work) would be out of the question.

My situation is bad enough - what if someone who worked with CAD/CAM
or Desktop Publishing or any other mouse intensive application had to
deal with this??

The problem is not with Atari's warranty coverage or the turn around
time (if it actually is 5-7 days and not the six weeks), but with the
fact that Atari is unable to help a customer who is willing to pay to
have a mouse delivered *overnight* in an emergency situation.  I have
dealt with many computer companies before and most all are more than
willing to help out in an emergency if I pay for the delivery charges.
(Some will even pay the delivery charges - Jasmine Technologies, a Mac
company, has always shipped emergency software upgrades and must-have
parts covered under warranty to me via FedEx at their expense, even on
Saturdays!)

I'm not the first person to have had a mouse die and I won't be the
last.  Considering the fact that Atari is now pushing DTP systems like
crazy, wouldn't it make sense for Atari to establish a credit card
verification service so that they could handle a situation such as
mine?  I realize that Atari service is best handled through the dealer
network, but a large percentage of ST owners (including myself) have
NO ready access to a local dealer, we should be able to call Atari and
have a simple mouse replacement handled quickly and overnight if we
are willing to pay the shipping charges.

How about it Atari?

Thanx
Peter Szymonik

custo

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (03/22/89)

I certainly agree with you about customer service.  It could/should be
handled better.  If Atari wants to be big in this country, they need good
customer service, which includes credit card acceptance (in every
respect, including verifying), all types of UPS service, and FedEx.  I'd
also like to see a fax line or two (hey, if you are a repair center and
don't have the schematics to something, waiting 6 weeks for em seems a
bit silly).

In general, Customer Service should be able to handle any request, be it
warrantee replacements, sales, info, and shipping requests.  Not that
they don't do a good job now, but if Kodak wants to buy a bunch of TT's
or ATW's, they are going to look at support just as much as the power of
the computer.  If it ain't there, they ain't gonna buy!

BTW, I would LOVE to see an East Coast office.  Why?  Faster and easier
delivery of products to stores, faster turn around time on repairs.  It
also seems to me that it would be less stressful to the folks in
California (who have to handle ALL the requests from this country).

=cf=

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (03/23/89)

In article <16069@cup.portal.com> Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
>Prepare for a minor flame...<grin>
>
>I bought a brand spanking new Mega 2ST  ...
> ... [sick mouse] ...
>   This is an ex-mouse.

I had the same problem, but had much better luck with my dealer.
He had lots of mice in stock (have there been lots of problems?).
The price was about 40 canadian dollars, and the exchange price
was 30.  Since the Mega ST2 was still under warantee, my price
on producing a photocopy of my receipt, was 0.  My dealer said
that he needed the sales slip so he could claim for something
from Atari.

>       I called the store where I bought the computer
>from and was told that they do not sell or have the mouse seperately
>but it only comes packaged with the computer and that I should call
>Atari about replacement.

In the meantime, I would look for a replacement of dealers (smile).

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (03/24/89)

in article <16069@cup.portal.com>, Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) says:

> Prepare for a minor flame...<grin>
>
> I'm not the first person to have had a mouse die and I won't be the
> last.  Considering the fact that Atari is now pushing DTP systems like
> crazy, wouldn't it make sense for Atari to establish a credit card
> verification service so that they could handle a situation such as
> mine?  I realize that Atari service is best handled through the dealer
> network, but a large percentage of ST owners (including myself) have
> NO ready access to a local dealer, we should be able to call Atari and
> have a simple mouse replacement handled quickly and overnight if we
> are willing to pay the shipping charges.
>
> How about it Atari?
>
> Thanx
> Peter Szymonik

Peter,

Your suggestion has been printed out and passed along to Customer Relations.
I spoke with Diana Goralczyk, Manager of Customer Relations regarding this
issue and she is going to look into this with her boss.

I will keep you posted of the progress on this issue.

-- John Townsend
   Atari Corporation

HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.BITNET (Bruce Heimbigner) (03/25/89)

It seems to me that Ted's dealer  should have had a replacement.  When
I bought my Mega last summer one key on the keyboard went bad.  I called
explained I really need it even with one unpredictable key,  they said no
problem, my dealer is on the West side of Washington state I'm on the East.
He mailed (at his expense) a new keyboard,  when it came in (about 2 days
later) I put mine in his box and sent it off at my expense. Worked out fine.

There are some good dealers out there.

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/25/89)

Thank you John, if there is one thing I do notice about Atari its that
you do actually listen to the customers in terms of service needs.
I look forward to hearing what happens!

Peter Szymonik