[comp.sys.atari.st] Media change problems & TOS 1.4

MCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET (03/27/89)

Date:    26 March 89, 17:33:28 EST
From:    Jim McCabe                                     MCCABE   at MTUS5
To:      INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Re:  Media change problems & TOS 1.4

Bob Bright posted a message describing TOS's buggy way of handling
media changes.

I noticed this one about a year ago, and posted the problem to this
group.  It bugged me most in the following situation:

   - Load some program off of a floppy
   - Once the program is loaded, remove the disk you run the
        program from and insert a new disk (data disk in my case)
   - Try to use the program

In my case, TOS never recognized the disk change most of the time.
It WOULD work okay if I was just reading data from the root directory,
but subdirectory accesses always failed.

I received a note (19 Feb 88, I still have it) saying this:

>We are aware of this problem and are fixing it.  The problem happens
>mostly when the root directory, fat, etc. of the first disk are so
>short that they can all be cached -- There is code to check media-change
>to validate a cached buffer, but it seems it isn't being used as it
>should.
>
>The bug has to do with the fact that the directory-structure cache didn't
>check for media change, but assumed that its internal tree representation
>was still correct.
>
>We apologize for the inconvenience.  The bug is fixed in the upcoming
>new ROMs.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily    -- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.      ...ames!atari!apratt

Has this fix been incorporated into the new 1.4 TOS?

                                                Jim McCabe
                                                MCCABE @ MTUS5.BITNET