[comp.sys.atari.st] Federated: Dumped by Atari! Shame on you, Atari!

pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) (03/14/89)

According to a Federated employee in El Cajon, CA store, Atari has
seperated  itself from Federated.  Now Federated is in its own
completely, and is expected to be bankrupted soon.  Atari is said to
make "megabucks" by doing this because it can deduct the Federated
loss from tax.   Federated is left to die on its own.  We should
condemn Atari for its irresponsibility!  And if Atari can do this to
Federated employees, nobody knows what Atari can do to Atari
employees in the future!

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (03/14/89)

In article <1308@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP writes:
#According to a Federated employee in El Cajon, CA store, Atari has
#seperated  itself from Federated.  Now Federated is in its own
#completely, and is expected to be bankrupted soon.  Atari is said to
#make "megabucks" by doing this because it can deduct the Federated
#loss from tax.   Federated is left to die on its own.  We should
#condemn Atari for its irresponsibility!  And if Atari can do this to
#Federated employees, nobody knows what Atari can do to Atari
#employees in the future!

Frankly, that's life in the business community.  If Federated wasn't making
money, then why keep it around?  But in any case, aren't you being a little
melo-dramatic?  Ditching Federated, a losing division, is not the same as
getting rid of Atari employees.  One could even argue that the move was for
the benefit of Atari employees who's jobs could have been at risk by the
losses suffered from Federated.  Now, if Federated can now turn itself
around, then we'll know that Atari made a bad decision.  If not, then we'll
know what Federated had in store for Atari.  As further reference, note the
following:

In article <739@stag.UUCP>, thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)
#Friday's edition of the Wall Street Journal carried a report that Atari
#Corp. lost $97 million in the fourth quarter of 1988, including more than
#$100 million in writeoffs and reserves charged to the Federated Group
#retail subsidiary. According to the article, Federated's fate will be
#announced soon; options include sale, spinoff and leveraged buyout.
#
#Without the Federated losses, Atari would have made an operating profit of
#$9.3 million for the quarter, down from $21.2 million, a drop attributed
#to high RAM chip prices.
#
#An Atari spokesman was quoted as saying that "a number of new items
#designed to complement the existing ST and MS-DOS product lines will be
#announced this year" and that RAM prices were dropping. Atari stock closed
#up 75 cents, at $6.50

Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder
walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu     ...!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!tramp!walkerb
"As far as we were aware, we simply made up the language as we went along"
-John Backus on the developement of FORTRAN

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (03/14/89)

Don't blame Atari, blame the Federated lawyers that misrepresented the
status of the company to Atari when they purchased it. Also, Atari
lost millions last year because of the debts run up by Federated
BEFORE Atari took it over. They had no real choice.
--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

rjung@sal44.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (03/15/89)

In article <1308@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () writes:
>According to a Federated employee in El Cajon, CA store, Atari has
>seperated  itself from Federated.  Now Federated is in its own
>completely, and is expected to be bankrupted soon.  Atari is said to
>make "megabucks" by doing this because it can deduct the Federated
>loss from tax.   Federated is left to die on its own.

  Just out of curiousity, how reliable a source is "a Federated employee"?

  Atari has announced plans to sell Federated ASAP a few days ago (leveraged
buyout, anyone?), but is this the same as "left to die on its own"?

  Would Atari make more money by writing off Federated, or by selling it?

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)
  ####  ##  ####

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (03/15/89)

This is in response to an article condemning Atari for dropping Federated.
Atari tried very hard to make Federated a winner, and lost an amount
lately estimated as about $100 million in the process.  It seems (from what
I read in the Wall Street Journal) that 'everyone' in the retail business
(but few people in the computer business) knew that Federated was a basket
case before Atari bought it.  Atari simply doesn't have that much money to
lose, so they're getting out while there still is an Atari.  They don't
exactly make money by doing that, but our enlightened (???) tax laws
allow businesses which go from money-losing to money-making to write off
their earlier losses against their later profits.  At that, it is by no
means a certainty that Atari can survive as an independent company (in
other words, back to the beginning of the Tramiel era, financially).  I
have trouble blaming someone for doing everything possible to save the
family business.

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/15/89)

Actually I think its a very smart move.  The money spent to keep
Federated alive was money that was not being spent on R&D and
advertising - in my opinion Federated should have been dumped long
ago.  And if the lawsuit finds that the previous owners did inflate the
inventory before the sale the tale is told!

Peter Szymonik

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (03/17/89)

In article <1308@sdcc15.ucsd.edu>, pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) writes:
> According to a Federated employee in El Cajon, CA store, Atari has
> seperated  itself from Federated.  Now Federated is in its own
> completely, and is expected to be bankrupted soon.  Atari is said to
> make "megabucks" by doing this because it can deduct the Federated
> loss from tax.   Federated is left to die on its own.  We should
> condemn Atari for its irresponsibility!  And if Atari can do this to
> Federated employees, nobody knows what Atari can do to Atari
> employees in the future!

I totally disagree with the above writer. Atari has made the best possible
decision in dumping FG. I live in anarea with many FG stores (Phoenix,AZ)
and those store are all losers. I don't shop there because of poor prices,
rotten customer service, and poor selection. Atari tried to turn the stores arounds.
Atari eeven made one of the FG stores into a model ST COMPUTER STORE and even
that didn't help improve sales much. Also, the few local independent Atari
stores (COMPUTER WORKS in Glendale AZ) were being hurt by Atari's pricing
with regards to FG stores. FG stores got the 520STFM (the one with the double
sided floppy drive) weeks before COMPUTER WORKS got them. That really made the
COMPUTER WORKS store owner mad!!!

I am certain that Atari tried to find someone to buy FG, but probably couldn't
find any takers.

Now that Atari si out of the retail sale business maybe Atari will have some
money to spend on finishing the 68030 machine, and getting the Laptop ST out.

By the way, Atari is now shipping the SLM804-PCV which is the old SLM-804
laser printer bundled with the Imagen ULTRASCIPT postscipt language. I would
recommend buying a Mega ST4 if you plan on using it though!! But, that is VERY
good news for us Atarians!! And Calamus is setting the DTP amrket on fire, it
is that good!!

Well, anyway, I for one approve of Atari's decision to dump FG stores. and
I jhope that Atari can recover from its $200 Million Dollar mistake!!!!

Richard (SLM804 owner and saving up for UltraScript) Covert

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (03/17/89)

In article <1308@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () writes:
>According to a Federated employee in El Cajon, CA store, Atari has
>seperated  itself from Federated.  Now Federated is in its own
>completely, and is expected to be bankrupted soon.  Atari is said to
>make "megabucks" by doing this because it can deduct the Federated
>loss from tax.   Federated is left to die on its own.  We should
>condemn Atari for its irresponsibility!  And if Atari can do this to
>Federated employees, nobody knows what Atari can do to Atari
>employees in the future!

What a strange point of view.  You have much to learn about the
business world.

Businesses exist to make money.  Any publicly-held corporation (such
as Atari Corp.) has an obligation to make a profit for its
stockholders.  Atari's management would be grossly negligent if they
retained Federated until its cash drain pulled the whole of the
corporation into bankruptcy.

Is this what you are advocating?

That would certainly result in the loss of the jobs of not only
Federated employees, but Atari Corp. employees as well, plus the loss
of the investments of Atari's stockholders, not to mention the effect
on all of the Atari dealers and owners.

Furthermore, there is no certainty that "Federated is left to die on
its own".  It will be sold (if a buyer can be found).  The new buyer
can inject sufficient cash into the company to keep it afloat, while
it rebuilds it from within.  The "death" of Federated is by no means
certain.

I would like to congratulate Atari for making a sound business
decision.  The only question is, "Why did Atari buy Federated in the
first place, when many independent observers said it was a bad deal?"

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now, or don't complain!

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	BIX:   gwage
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:   74016,352
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		UUCP: ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
(408) 437-5198
------------------
There's nothing I hate more than a Usenet posting which took three
seconds to compose and three minutes to type, glibly dismissing three
years (or three decades) of an author's work in three lines.
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.
(And the author wouldn't have it any other way.)

ericg@sco.COM (Eric Griswold) (03/21/89)

pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () wrote in article <1308@sdcc15.ucsd.edu>:
>Now Federated is in its own
>completely, and is expected to be bankrupted soon.  Atari is said to
>make "megabucks" by doing this because it can deduct the Federated
>loss from tax.   Federated is left to die on its own.  We should
>condemn Atari for its irresponsibility!  And if Atari can do this to
>Federated employees, nobody knows what Atari can do to Atari
>employees in the future!

<begin sarcasm>
	It is so awful how a business makes a decision to get rid of
	a situation that is losing money!  I mean really, any good business
	would keep around a major sinking ship just because it has such
 	a big heart.  Let's condemn Atari.  Let's condemn Warner Communcations
	for doing the same thing to Atari years back.  Let's condemn free
	enterprise entirely and let mediocrity take over.
<end sarcasm>

Good move, Atari.  I was surprised when the decision was made to purchase
it.

--
Eric Griswold  (ericg@sco.COM)
"That's no baby.  That's a Mr. Potatohead"

rjd@brunix (Rob Demillo) (03/21/89)

In article <1308@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () writes:
>   Federated is left to die on its own.  We should
>condemn Atari for its irresponsibility!  And if Atari can do this to
>Federated employees, nobody knows what Atari can do to Atari
>employees in the future!

Jeez! Calm down...haven't you been paying any attention to
this net (oer the newspapers) at all? The Atari-Federated
marraige was polluted from the beginning, with the Federated
chain doing its best to keep Atari frustrated to begin with.
It was a huge money sink for Atari. (A huge drop in profits
was reported last quarter because Atari was sinking money into
this Federated deal.) Of *course* Atari is cutting them
free, any business would.

Irresponsibility...'left to die on its own'...what the heck are
you talking about...a chain of stores or a woodland creature
caught in a bear trap...if anyone can be blamed for loss of
jobs at Federated, its the CEO of Federated...they should have
upheld their end of the deal.

Companies go under...that's big business. Would you rather that
Atari spend $40M/quarter floating Federated's losses?

 - Rob DeMillo			| UUCP:   ...ima!brunix!brnpsg!demillo
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-863-3769
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

mars@athena.mit.edu (Anita) (03/27/89)

We must remember, no matter how idealistic we think it may be, Atari
is first and foremost a business.  Therefore, in order to improve its
current product line, they have to protect themselves.  That is why
they dropped Federated.  Some Federated stores were pushing the Amiga
more than the Atari line when Atari still owned Federated, so to Atari
I say, Good Move.

-Andy  aka Sir Hackalot