[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari host adaptor -vs- others, who is best deal?

jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) (03/28/89)

Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using the Atari
host adaptor for my home-brew hard-disk versus buying the (much)more
expensive ICD or Supra or Berkley boards?  I already have a clock on my
sysptem, so that isn't important to me, money is!  Has anyone built their
system using the atari adaptor?  What additional stuff will I need?  Will
it work with the Adaptec 4000 controller.  What about formatting software?
In short, I need information before I commit money I really hate to spend
if I can do it myself.  I am a pretty good hardware hacker, so I don't mind
a little work to save myself a lot of money!

|   Jeff Long              jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil  (ARPA net)      |
|   humble (and getting humbler by the day) graduate student;           |
|   The Air Force Institute of Techology  (what a great way of life??)  |

al@tolerant.UUCP (Albert Palmer) (03/29/89)

In article <1015@afit-ab.arpa> jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
>Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using the Atari
>host adaptor for my home-brew hard-disk versus buying the (much)more
>expensive ICD or Supra or Berkley boards?  I already have a clock on my

The price I can buy the Atari host adaptor for is $60.  The Supra now
sells for $100.  (B&C Computervisions  Santa Clara,CA)  The Atari host
comes without the cable and needs the BMS pal to fix a problem it has.
This pushs the price of the Atari host up to the price of the Supra host.
Also the Supra has AtariDMA out and SCSI out.  This makes it easy later
when you want to add on.  And you can always sell the clock you have
now.

al palmer