[comp.sys.atari.st] uud/uue

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (01/12/89)

In article <271@laas.laas.fr> ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>That's just it, why isn't everyone using Jean-Pierre Dumas' UUD and
>UUE combination.  I believe that it was his good idea to use
>translation tables.  Living on BITNET can influence such behavior!  I
>even have UUD running on my Sun and under Ultrix!

I use UUD and UUE on our VAX running BSD.  I prefer it to the supplied
functions "uudecode" and "uuencode" because of its ability to create
separate files and put in "continuation" lines.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (03/30/89)

I recently captured the new uud/uue source code for the Atari ST. I am having
problems using it with binaries from the Atari ST binaries newsgroups. I can't
get the recent 'ckermit' posts to decode properly.

I got the source code to uud/uue from:

Submitted-by: uunet!mcvax!unido!klute (Rainer Klute)
Posting-number: Volume 2, Issue 24
Archive-name: uuduue

Here are the latest sources of Dumas' UUD/UUE package. They
were posted a while ago here in europe. They are *not*
uuencoded to give you a chance to retrieve them.

  Rainer Klute                  ----   klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Universitaet Dortmund, IRB    |)|/   klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500               |\|\   ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50              ----   Tel.: +49 231 7554663

I compiled uud/uue with Mark Williams C, version 3.09. I have defined GEMDOS.
The problems are:

1) uud doesn't decode the "begin" header line properly. In ckermit1.uue the begin
   line is "begin 644 kerm_exe.arc".
   In ckermit2.uue the begin line is "begin part b kerm_exe.uab". uud creates a file
   named 'b' as it doesn't parse the 'part' field correctly.

2) uud doesn't include chained files properly.

Could some one explain the purpose of the 'part xxx' field to me?? UUD doesn't seem to
them properly.

Has anyone else gotten an ST version of uudecode/uuencode to decode the binaries
correctly?? If so, could you please email me a copy of your uud/uue (source code
please!!).

richard covert