[comp.sys.atari.st] netste.arc on HIM1

csrobe@ICASE.EDU (Charles S. [Chip] Roberson) (03/17/89)

I just took a look at netst on him1.cc.umich.edc (pc7:) and realized that
it was an FTP package for the ST.  It was a quick look but I couldn't
figure out what kind of hardware is necessary for the software to run.
Could somebody share a little knowledge about this suite of programs?

thanks,
-c
|Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu                  |
|Dept of Comp. Sci.                     csrobe@icase.edu                  |
|College of William and Mary  BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet              |
|Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe|

     "It takes 40 dumb animals to make a fur coat,
         and just one dumb animal to wear it."      -European TV commercial

[A Cruelty-Free Companies list is available for anonymous ftp from cs.wm.edu.]

In article <8903161831.AA00412@icase.edu> csrobe@ICASE.EDU (Charles S. [Chip] Roberson) writes:
>I just took a look at netst on him1.cc.umich.edc (pc7:) and realized that
>it was an FTP package for the ST.  It was a quick look but I couldn't
>figure out what kind of hardware is necessary for the software to run.
>Could somebody share a little knowledge about this suite of programs?

That's an older version of the package. I've been doing a lot of hacking
on it since that file was uploaded, putting the current versions in
PC7:ka9q_XXX.arc. This is a port of Phil Karn's networking package for
MSDOS to TOS. The ST version only supports devices that attach through
the serial or MIDI ports. (KA9Q is Phil's HAM radio callsign.) The
software is really intended to be used in conjunction with a TNC or
some other HAM setup, doing TCP/IP over packet radio. However, it also
supports SLIP, the serial line protocol that was distributed with 4.2BSD Unix.
I've also added support for SLFP, another serial line protocol, developed
at MIT for use with their PCIP package. I needed the SLFP support to
use with Merit, the state-wide network centered here at UM. (So I can
dial-up and ftp/telnet/sendmail from home...)

So the short answer to your question is you just need a serial line.
You can connect a bunch of STs together at 31kbps using the MIDI ports.
You need to make sure the MIDI THRU is connected though, so that packets
propagate around the network correctly. (Sort of like a very slow token
ring, without the token. Maybe that's not such a hot idea....)

The current version that I use was compiled with MWC 3.0, but I'm going
to try moving over to GCC to see if that speeds things up. FTPs are very
quick, but telnet sessions slow down a lot from screen writes.

Send me mail if you want more info about the ST version, or the package
in general...
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!