[comp.sys.atari.st] TURBODOS

XBR2DB2Q@DDATHD21.BITNET (Rainer Fuchs, TH Darmstadt) (03/26/88)

Most recently I got a program called TURBODOS.PRG. The copyright message on
startup indicates that it is from ATARI France.
Features: new GEMDOS routines, new FAT handling, disk caching. Should speed up
harddisks 5fold and disks,too (factor not known). Should cure 40 folder bug.
Question: is this an official replacement for FOLDRXXX.PRG ???
It seems to work quite well with my SH205 harddisk but when checking for the
number of free directory slots (using DIRSLEFT from my ATARI-Bootdisk)
I found only 42 folders left (and I still have about 10 Meg free space on it).
I wonder whether the 40 folder bug will get me again if I create some more
directories...
Maybe someone has used this program for quite a while and can tell something
about its reliability.
/     R. Fuchs - Inst. of Biochemistry - TH Darmstadt - W-Germany             /
/                      BITnet/EARN: XBR2DB2Q@DDATHD21                         /

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (03/30/88)

From article <8803261045.AA20972@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
by XBR2DB2Q@DDATHD21.BITNET (Rainer Fuchs, TH Darmstadt):

> Most recently I got a program called TURBODOS.PRG. The copyright message on
> startup indicates that it is from ATARI France.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ATARI CORP.  PRODUCT.  If Atari France wants to
put their name on it, that's their business, but I wouldn't trust *my*
hard disk to it.

On the other hand, I haven't seen it yet, so that might just be
not-invented- here mentality on my part.

But remember, TURBODOS is *not* from Atari (not from this office, anyway).

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (03/31/88)

In article <1026@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
> From article <8803261045.AA20972@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
> by XBR2DB2Q@DDATHD21.BITNET (Rainer Fuchs, TH Darmstadt):
>
> > Most recently I got a program called TURBODOS.PRG. The copyright message on
> > startup indicates that it is from ATARI France.
>
> THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ATARI CORP.  PRODUCT.  If Atari France wants to
> put their name on it, that's their business, but I wouldn't trust *my*
> hard disk to it.
> On the other hand, I haven't seen it yet, so that might just be
> not-invented- here mentality on my part.
> But remember, TURBODOS is *not* from Atari (not from this office, anyway).

For clarification:
TurbosDOS is a program which is distributed by Atari France, and supported
by them. Under this business arrangement, certain other Atari subsidiaries
have taken up distribution, or are considering it.
From a corporate standpoint, many of the features included in TurboDOS, and
especially the bug fixes, are already covered by the next ROM release, and
so corporate is not looking at the total product to carry the formal Atari
corporate seal of approval. However, we are taking steps to provide a
standard RAMDisk and DiskCacher, if we find one which satisifies all our
internationalization and compatibility requirements.

I do in fact have it loaded on my system and have not noticed any ill
effects. But neither have I truly "tested" it - I just use it as an
normal everyday user of applications such as word processing and
spreadsheets might use it.

As Allan stated, his comments are personal, and not to be construed as
an official Atari response.
Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

XBR2DB2Q@DDATHD21.BITNET (Rainer Fuchs, TH Darmstadt) (04/05/88)

I have been using TurboDOS for some weeks (although I would not say that
I "tested" it) and it works very well. And it's FAST! I can really recommend it
to any hard disk owner. Two drawbacks: it doesn't seem to cure the 40-folder-
bug, so you still need foldrxxx. And it occupies about 100k of RAM.
But what you get is an incredible speed...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/           Rainer Fuchs, Inst. f. Biochemie, TH Darmstadt, FRG               /
/                         BitNet/EARN: xbr2db2q@ddathd21                      /
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) (04/07/88)

 i recently managed to lay my hands on TurboDOS.prg.  As you all know, it was
mentioned in here a little while back.  I understand that this program can be
gotten from the Atari FRANCE BBS.

 First, the bad news. It takes up about 103K RAM (bad since it's one of those
things that you put in your AUTO folder). Now the good news.  It seems to
really work.  My configuration is a monochrome 1040ST with a 20Meg Supra HD.
As you all know, doing a 'df' used to take about 10 secs, and with the
DISKFREE.prg program, that was reduced to about 2-3 secs. With TurboDOS, it's
instantaneous!!!  No kidding.  Program loads in a zip, reads/writes are
faster, and it caches directories/FATs.  It's a must for hard-drive owners.
I like to email it to Steve to post, but am not sure if it's public domain.
(don't ask how i got it. I have contacts in Europe :-).
Please let me know, someone.

 I understand that the next ROM release will take care of most of the
problems with the current OS, and it'll also take care of things taken care
of by TurboDOS.prg.  I believe the new ROMS will be out before year's end
and no sarcasm meant here.  I still think that i've got the best system for
the amount of money I paid for.

 Publishing partner professional has been delayed for another 4 weeks again.
I'm getting a little annoyed. How come there's very little mention of PPartner
on this net?  For those who used 9-pin dot-matrix for printing PP stuff and
noticed that 12 point size is of the right height but that the thickness of
the characters are inconsistent, try using 6 point size but set styles to
WIDE and TALL.  The output should come out beautifully.
--
if you can dream it, you can do it.  			 CSNET:lean@sbcs.csnet
... go sleep			      ARPA:lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Thomas Wolf) (04/08/88)

In article <8804051221.AA16984@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> XBR2DB2Q@DDATHD21.BITNET (Rainer Fuchs, TH Darmstadt) writes:
>I have been using TurboDOS for some weeks (although I would not say that
>I "tested" it) and it works very well. And it's FAST! I can really recommend it
>to any hard disk owner. Two drawbacks: it doesn't seem to cure the 40-folder-
>bug, so you still need foldrxxx. And it occupies about 100k of RAM.
>But what you get is an incredible speed...
[rest deleted]

Will we poor slobs in the US be able to get hold of TurboDOS? I wouldn't mind
the extra 100k that was mentioned, since I use that much right now with my
hd caching program.

If it's available around here, could someone post an address where one might
obtain it?  If only available in Germany, is it possible to mail-order from
there?  What is the current price for TurboDos?

Thanks for any information regarding the above,

Tom Wolf

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
           or wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (04/08/88)

In Holland a patch is floating around called JAMdos which only works
for Mega ROMs, is entirely unofficial but does speed up by a factor
of 2-3 hard disk accesses and only takes 20k (plus extra FAT en DAT
buffers according to the user's wishes).  It thus can be done with
less than the 100k of TurboDOS...  Let's wait for the official new
Atari ROMs... ... ...

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) (04/12/88)

u can get TurboDOS NOW from ATARINET, including other new goodies, including
COREWARS, UniTerm 2.0c 009, and other great stuff.

- Mike Vederman

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:

gert@prls.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) (04/14/88)

Great that TurboDOS has made it to the U.S. ! But the article
by Michael Vederman that 'TurboDOS is now available from the
ATARINET server' does little but make me jealous : I have NO
IDEA on how to (or even if I can) access this server from
a simple minded UUCP host.

Michael, or any other friendly soul that CAN access the ATARINET
server : Can you tell us how to get it, or publish the thing
itself, don't brag that YOU have it. I'm too jealous right now.

I would just love to have my 20 MByte floppy behave like a
hard disk...

  Gert Slavenburg
  (gert@prls.UUCP or ..!pyramid!prls!gert)

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (04/15/88)

Try netlib@lakesys.uucp
--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (04/15/88)

In article <10641@prls.UUCP> gert@prls.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) writes:
> [...] that 'TurboDOS is now available from the
>ATARINET server' does little but make me jealous : I have NO
>IDEA on how to (or even if I can) access this server from
>a simple minded UUCP host.

  Sorry to tell you that you can't. It's possible to access CANADA01,
since it's e-mail driven, but ATARINET answers only to interactive
BITNET messages. It's a pity, since there are lots of nice programs
there. Maybe we uucp users should work on fixing this. Martin Wiedmayer
(martin@lakesys.uucp) administrates a file server for atari programs. I
think it would be great if we really used what he (and the owner of
lakesys) offer us, and send them anything we get our hands to. So if
someone has gotten TurboDOS, would you send it to Marty? He'll be glad
of hearing from you.

--
		Federico Heinz                      "In Dubio Pro Libido"
BIX:  fheinz				| Beusselstr. 21

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (04/16/88)

In article <1515@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <10641@prls.UUCP> gert@prls.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) writes:
>>Great that TurboDOS has made it to the U.S. !
>
>Try netlib@lakesys.uucp

Yes, thanks Lee! turboDOS is now available from netlib@lakesys.UUCP as of
today. Send your request via netmail to netlib@lakesys.UUCP in the form

	send turbodos.uaa from archives.atari

No subject for the message is necessary.

Submissions for netlib are always welcome. Please send them to me at the login
below.

 Any comments, problems or suggestions, please mail to martin@lakesys.UUCP.
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) (04/17/88)

In article <590@lakesys.UUCP> martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) writes:
>In article <1515@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>>In article <10641@prls.UUCP> gert@prls.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) writes:
>>>Great that TurboDOS has made it to the U.S. !

	Try as I might I could not get the thing to work under my
configuration:
	ICD 	DMA -> SCCI
	ADAPTECK 4070 Controller
	Mini_Scribe 20 meg upto 30 RLL
	ICD software
		icdboot.prg
		icdtime.prg
		foldr200.prg

	Could any one who gets it working with a similar configuration
please let me know what you did.

	Thanks.

leo@sunybcs.uucp (Leo Wilson) (04/18/88)

I have another question about this program: What will delayed-write FATS
do to a hd backup? I currently use ~19 disks to back up my C: partition,
which is a hell of a lot to lose in the event of a crash.

Is there any way to force a write? I like this performance increase, I'm
reluctant to give it up. I surely don't want to lose every peice of work
I've done in the past week, tho, it ain't alot but its enough to worry about.

===
Leo E. Wilson  364 West Delavan Avenue  Buffalo, NY 14213  (716)883-7573
(leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)    ...!sunybcs[!leow]!leo    leo@sunybcs.bitnet

john@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (John Stanley) (04/19/88)

In article <203@actisb.UUCP> federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) writes:
 >In article <10641@prls.UUCP> gert@prls.UUCP (Gert Slavenburg) writes:
 >> [...] that 'TurboDOS is now available from the
 >>ATARINET server' does little but make me jealous : I have NO
 >>IDEA on how to (or even if I can) access this server from
 >>a simple minded UUCP host.

  Try the lakesys mail server.  There's a copy of turbodos there.

 >(martin@lakesys.uucp) administrates a file server for atari programs. I
 >think it would be great if we really used what he (and the owner of
 >lakesys) offer us, and send them anything we get our hands to. So if
 >someone has gotten TurboDOS, would you send it to Marty? He'll be glad
 >of hearing from you.

  Since Marty already has a copy of TurboDos, I doubt he's apprecate
receiving a flood of mail with more copies of the same thing....

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!meccts!viper!john

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (04/19/88)

Due to the questionable status of TurbosDOS's Public Domain status, I have
temporarily removed it from availability on netlib.

Better safe than sorry......:-(

Marty Wiedmeyer
martin@lakesys.UUCP
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |
|       UUCP: {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!martin                         |
|	Disclaimer: I take the heat for my own (mis)statements.....        |

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com (04/22/88)

Since Atari's current position, expressed on GEnie is that Turbodos has not
been released to the PD in the US it would be better to shelve all this until
it is.

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (05/11/88)

May 10th, 1988

			TURBODOS

The following is the statement from Atari France regarding the use of
the Turbodos product. I have paraphrased for simplicity.

1 Source code belongs to the contractor, Dominique Laurent, and not to
  Atari France. It is the copyright of both Dominique Laurent and of
  Atari France.

2 The latest version is 1.05, which includes some fixes for settime
  and setdate.

3 The product was developed by Dominique Laurent, but belongs to Atari France
  for all commercial purposes. If you wish to give a copy to a friend, you
  may do so. However, if you intend to include the product as part of a
  sales promotion or similar, you must seek and obtain the agreement of
  Atari France.

4 Each Atari subsidiary, at least in Europe, has been authorized by Atari
  France to include Turbodos with any SH204/205 disk drive sale.

Atari France may be contacted at: 9 rue Sentou, 92150 Suresnes, France
The technical contact is Eric Cabedoce.

Please address any further queries regarding Turbodos to Atari France.

Thank you.

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) (03/17/89)

I have read that many folks are using TURBODOS.
Three times now, i have truncated
my gulam.g file when booting up with TURBODOS...
My auto folder looks like this:

c:\auto\supraclk.prg turbodos.prg startgem.prg

Though i am auto booting GULAM... i am booting GEM since
i need it for other things.

Should TURBODOS be the first program in the folder?
Any one have any ideas why my gulam.g file gets
corrupted (at the end) only when i boot with TURBODOS?

Any guess what other damage i am doing !

THanks.

-kevin
a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) (03/20/89)

Hi.

I recently started using TURBODOS with a Seagate 296N and
Supra host.

I have had quite a time figuring out why on several (not all)
occasions when autobooting with GULAM, my gulam.g file gets
truncated.  When recopying my gulam.g from a floppy ... a reboot
seemed to be no problem.

ALso... i found strange things with ZEROing a partition using
either SUPRA or ICD utils.  After copying some files to
partition f:\ , i tried zeroing the partition.  Whether i
used Supra or ICD, f:\ still listed all the files.  I
could emacs the files as well..... I discovered that the
only way to get the directory to look empty was to reboot.
Does this mean that zeroing a partition simply allows one to
start writing to the lowest sectors in the partition again?
Why didn't ZEROing the partition erase the files..?
I have to assume it wasn't a conflict in cache..as i turned
gulam's cache off.. and the weirdness still persisted.
Also... if it were simply a cache conflict, i would think i
wouldn't be able to read the files.

Question: What am i risking using TURBODOS?
          Is it best to rebuild my drive and recopy
          everything back in after having installed
          TURBODOS ????????

          Am i the only one who has to reboot after
          ZEROing a partition when running TURBODOS?

Your words of wisdom are gratefully consumed....

-kevin
a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu

In article <1269@blake.acs.washington.edu> a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) writes:
%Hi.
%
[...]
TurboDOS maintains a directory cache of its own. That's a partial
explanation of the problem. Programs that read and write directly to
particular disk sectors probably manage to do so without telling
TurboDOS what they're doing, so....

Also, as I recall, it's not possible to access block 0 of a drive
when TurboDOS is active. (Someone out there know more about this?
This is my shady memory of firsthand observation augmented by
net rumors...) As such, doing things with SUPEDIT isn't going to
work very well while TurboDOS is active.

Dunno why your gulam.g file is getting truncated. I use gulam, but I
don't autoboot it...
%Question: What am i risking using TURBODOS?
%          Is it best to rebuild my drive and recopy
%          everything back in after having installed
%          TURBODOS ????????
%
%
%          Am i the only one who has to reboot after
%          ZEROing a partition when running TURBODOS?
%
%Your words of wisdom are gratefully consumed....
%
%-kevin
%a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu

--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!