[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectre and Viruses

LMD101@PSUVM.BITNET (Closet Noise Day) (03/17/89)

Hi Everybody,
            I'm thinking of getting spectre 128 soon, and I was wondering if
anyone has encountered some of the many mac viruses while using spectre.
I've seen a lot of the mac viruses at work, but I was wondering if they would
function any differently in spectre.

                                     Thanks,
                                           Matt Day(lmd101@psuvm.bitnet)

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (03/17/89)

In article <76430LMD101@PSUVM>, LMD101@PSUVM.BITNET (Closet Noise Day) writes:
> Hi Everybody,
>             I'm thinking of getting spectre 128 soon, and I was wondering if
> anyone has encountered some of the many mac viruses while using spectre.
> I've seen a lot of the mac viruses at work, but I was wondering if they would
> function any differently in spectre.

In Spectre's most recent mailing it is mentioned that viruses work as well
on Spectre as on a MAC.  Sad, but true.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (03/21/89)

in article <76430LMD101@PSUVM>, LMD101@PSUVM.BITNET (Closet Noise Day) says:
>             I'm thinking of getting spectre 128 soon, and I was wondering if
> anyone has encountered some of the many mac viruses while using spectre.
> I've seen a lot of the mac viruses at work, but I was wondering if they would
> function any differently in spectre.

	Most (maybe all) of the viruses on the Mac work just fine on the
Spectre.  Dave even included a warning about Mac viruses in the latest
Gagdgets by Small newsletter.

	Sometimes I wish the Spectre was just a little less Mac
compatible.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (03/22/89)

In article <3917@druwy.ATT.COM> dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
>	Most (maybe all) of the viruses on the Mac work just fine on the
>Spectre.  Dave even included a warning about Mac viruses in the latest
>Gagdgets by Small newsletter.
>
>	Sometimes I wish the Spectre was just a little less Mac
>compatible.

From what I know of the Macintosh file system, there is really no way to
prevent infestation without losing compatibility.  The Mac is just begging
for viruses and many hackers are quite willing to oblige.  There are,
however, utilities designed to detect viruses.  They are in wide-spread use
on the CU Boulder campus since the Mac lab was plagued by the nvir virus during
the fall semester.

Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder
walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu     ...!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!tramp!walkerb
Q: What's the difference between a MacIntosh and an Etch-a-sketch?
A: You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen.

In article <3917@druwy.ATT.COM> dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
>	Most (maybe all) of the viruses on the Mac work just fine on the
>Spectre.  Dave even included a warning about Mac viruses in the latest
>Gagdgets by Small newsletter.
>
>	Sometimes I wish the Spectre was just a little less Mac
>compatible.

At least it won't work when you're in ST mode, eh? (Boy, all of a sudden
I feel a little paranoid. Everyone else only has to worry about *one*
family of viruses. ST owners potentially have to worry about Mac, PC *and*
ST viruses. Fortunately there ain't no single one that hits all three, eh?  }-)
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!