[comp.sys.atari.st] shared mem

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) (03/29/89)

Is this too much to ask?

Two ST's talking over RS232 port.
Each user has access both remotely (to other's HD) and locally.

Will either/both MX2, MT-C Shell (other ?) allow this type of
set up?   Or is the remote relegated to "server" only....

Thanx !

-kevin
a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu

fgbrooks@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (03/29/89)

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) writes:
>Is this too much to ask?
>
>Two ST's talking over RS232 port.
>Each user has access both remotely (to other's HD) and locally.
>
>Will either/both MX2, MT-C Shell (other ?) allow this type of
>set up?   Or is the remote relegated to "server" only....
>
>Thanx !
>
>-kevin
>a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu

MX2 will allow a limited networking. But due to limitations in my program and
the ST it's not really robust and should be used readonly on the remote drive.

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!fgbrooks
ARPA: crash!pnet01!fgbrooks@nosc.mil
INET: fgbrooks@pnet01.cts.com

In article <1372@blake.acs.washington.edu> a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) writes:
>Is this too much to ask?
>
>Two ST's talking over RS232 port.
>Each user has access both remotely (to other's HD) and locally.
>
>Will either/both MX2, MT-C Shell (other ?) allow this type of
>set up?   Or is the remote relegated to "server" only....

Try the DMA/SCSI bus - you could connect 8 SCSI controllers and 8 STs off each
SCSI controller, with access at 1megabyte/sec, async. Or fewer ST controllers,
and a mix of disk and tape drives. Sorry I can't say how to do it in TOS, but
I've got designs down for Minix. (Change the Minix DMA driver to field some
other interrupts, allow direct memory access between machines - not just sharing
hard drives, but also sharing actual process memory space. It's really pretty
cute...)
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!