[comp.sys.atari.st] NOTATION SEQUENCERS INFO

houser@mcnc.org (Kevin D. Houser ) (03/24/89)

 Shortly, I will be purchasing some new music notation & sequencing
software for my ATARI-ST; and I need some comparisons (likes, gripes, features)
of at least the following three:
   NOTATOR by Digidesign
   Sonus SUPERSCORE
   Hybrid Arts SYNC-TRACK w/EZ-SCORE

 I need the ability to record on multiple tracks simultaneously, detailed
editing, control of midi-volume for mixdowns, and score. I'll be using the
preliminary score to help in arranging compositions. Also, the price range
should be approximately $200 to $499 max.

Email replies to:
houser@mcnc.org
Kevin Houser
(919) 248-1996 W
(919) 859-5467 H

ESC@PORSCHE.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Eric S. Crawley) (03/30/89)

You should check out some recent issues of Keyboard Magazine.  The April
issue examines several notation programs and outlines the things you
should consider when buying a notation program.

Personally, I recommend and use Notator from C-Lab (distributed by
Digidesign in the U.S.).  The integration between the notation and the
sequencing is essentially seamless.  Granted, Notator will not yet
engrave a score like Score or Finale but it does a fine job for most
uses.  Laser printer support is purported to be forthcoming.

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) (03/31/89)

In article <19890330154814.1.ESC@KRIKKIT.SCRC.Symbolics.COM> ESC@PORSCHE.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Eric S. Crawley) writes:
>You should check out some recent issues of Keyboard Magazine.  The April
>issue examines several notation programs and outlines the things you
>should consider when buying a notation program.
>
>Personally, I recommend and use Notator from C-Lab (distributed by
>Digidesign in the U.S.).  The integration between the notation and the
>sequencing is essentially seamless.  Granted, Notator will not yet
>engrave a score like Score or Finale but it does a fine job for most
>uses.  Laser printer support is purported to be forthcoming.

Let me second this suggestion.  Agreed, while NOTATOR does not produce
engrave quality... it is perfectly acceptable to studio musicians.
I recently scored a 17 piece orchestra for the Pacific Northwest Ballet
using NOTATOR.  Musicians were very impressed with the readability of the
scores.  I can't say in the process (learning) my dialect didn't change
during certain moments of stress and frustration..... but when i began
to understand how the program works.... i discovered most of my problems
were of type "user idiot".  My only disappointment was in trying to edit
16 tracks of notation and midi event data on screen simultaneously....
an 030 chip would be nice.....

-kevin
a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu