[comp.sys.atari.st] I want to buy a new computer!

hearth@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Don Hearth) (03/16/89)

	I am not trying to start a flame war.  I recently obtained $1300
from a deceased relative and decided to get a better computer than my
C-64.  I am trying to decide between an Atari ST and a Amiga, but I know very
little about either ( or computers in general ). I plan to use this
computer about 80% for games and 20% for everything else, so good games
and graphics are a factor.

	Could anybody who has knowledge of either, or preferably both,
of these computers please e-mail me advice?  I would appreciate the
wisdom of these newsgroups. I will also pass on the results, if anybody else
is interested. Thanks in advance.

						Don Hearth
						hearth@cory

Sentry@cup.portal.com (Marcus Hungor Tran) (03/19/89)

I own an Atari 1040 ST for over a year, and an Amiga500 for three months.
They are both the best computers for games.  Graphics are generally the
same on both computers, although the Amiga has better resolutions and
more colors on screen at the same time.  You have to look VERY carefully
to see the difference since most games are written for low resolution.
The sound is deffinitely better on the Amiga. It has stereo output (which
Atari forgot to put in the ST) and stereo monitor. Most games for Amiga
are in stereo and have digitized sounds, taking advantage of the voice
synthensizer which the Atari doesn't have.  Sounds like I'm bias toward
the Amiga? Not really. There are more games available for the ST (althoug
h the Amiga games are gain fast).  Also, since I have the Atari first, I
have already own lots of ST games, I only buy games for the Amiga that are
not available in ST format.  Of course, being a sucker for digitized sounds,
I would like to start buying more games for the Amiga.  NOTES: I'm speaking
as a GAMER now: get the Amiga (ooh, that hurts! Sorry Atari)

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (03/30/89)

From: omni!emh@stag.UUCP (Eric Hopper)

In Message <15996@cup.portal.com> Sentry (Marcus Hungor Tran)  writes:

......Stuff deleted.....
> Atari forgot to put in the ST) and stereo monitor. Most games for Amiga
> are in stereo and have digitized sounds, taking advantage of the voice
> synthensizer which the Atari doesn't have.  Sounds like I'm bias toward
......Stuff deleted.....
> not available in ST format.  Of course, being a sucker for digitized sounds,
> I would like to start buying more games for the Amiga.  NOTES: I'm speaking
> as a GAMER now: get the Amiga (ooh, that hurts! Sorry Atari)

	Atari games are starting to have digitized sound now, and stereo
sound is only a tweety board away, but Atari graphics aren't QUITE as good
as Amiga graphics.  I think that as far as a game machine is concerned the
Amiga is the way to go, but if you want a serious computer, especially for
sound applications, get an Atari.  With it's built in Midi port, you can
have Hexadekaphonic sound, it is sad to see that the Amiga has no such
capability. If I'm not mistaken, there are even a few games which use the
Midi port. (For those who aren't up on their Latin, Hexadekaphonic sound
is sixteen channel.)

	Oh, yes. I haven't mentioned one other application of the Midi
port. One of the funnest games I have ever played is called Midi Maze.  It
sets you, and a whole slew of human opponents (Up to sixteen) in a 3-d
maze. The object of the game is to move around the maze and shoot all the
other happy faces (other players) into oblivion. This game uses the midi
port for cheap networking.  I haven't seen any multiplayer games of this
scope outside of a mainframe.

Have fun,

Eric Hopper (Omnifarious) Don't try to send to emh@omni.uucp, because omni
is completely unkown to any system except stag.
omni!emh@stag.UUCP  or  ....{rosevax, ems, umn-cs}!pwcs!stag!omni!emh
/*****************************************************************************/
/* All opinions presented here are the result of my enviroment, or heredity. */
/* If you don't like them you only have yourselves or my parents to blame.   */
/*****************************************************************************/
                       \**************************/ /)
     __                 \* "I went insane to    */ //
    / ')                 \* preserve my sanity */ //  __.  __  o ____. . _
   /  / ______  ____  o   \* for later."      */_//__(_/|_/ (_<_(_) (_/_/_)_
  (__/ / / / <_/ / <_<_    \*  Ford Prefect  */ />
                            \****************/ </
 /****************************************************************************/

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/01/89)

In article <762@stag.UUCP> you write:
>From: omni!emh@stag.UUCP (Eric Hopper)
>In Message <15996@cup.portal.com> Sentry (Marcus Hungor Tran)  writes:
>I think that as far as a game machine is concerned the
>Amiga is the way to go, but if you want a serious computer, especially for
>sound applications, get an Atari.  With it's built in Midi port, you can
>have Hexadekaphonic sound, it is sad to see that the Amiga has no such
>capability.

I beg to differ - the Amiga has tremendous MIDI capabilities - with a very
inexpensive MIDI box (as low as $30), AND A MIDI PROGRAM SUCH AS SONIX, DMCS,
DR T's, and so on, you can produce amazing results.  I had the pleasure to
listen to some music by Bach played out over a CZ-101, and it was amazing.

As for the hexadekaphonic sound, with most of the MIDI programs, you can
support AT LEAST 16 MIDI instruments, so what's the problem?

As for the gaming, the only reason the Amiga is good for gaming is the
coprocessors make graphics and sound output smooth and amazingly
crisp/true-to-life in a personal computer.

+----------------------------+--------------+--------------------------+
| John A. Dutka              | Worcester    |        jdutka@wpi.bitnet |
| WPI Box 2308               | Polytechnic  |       jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu |
| 100 Institute Rd.          | Institute    +--------------------------+
| Worcester, Ma  01609-2280  +--------------+ "Power through better    |
| (508) 792-1949             | VaNdaLs Sack |  design and engineering" |
+----------------------------+--------------+--------------------------+
|                      "Take my Worf - PLEASE!"                        |
To: to_stdnet@stag.UUCP
Subject: Re: I want to buy a new computer!
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Bcc:

To: to_stdnet@stag.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Bcc:

In article <762@stag.UUCP> you write:
>From: omni!emh@stag.UUCP (Eric Hopper)
>In Message <15996@cup.portal.com> Sentry (Marcus Hungor Tran)  writes:
>I think that as far as a game machine is concerned the
>Amiga is the way to go, but if you want a serious computer, especially for
>sound applications, get an Atari.  With it's built in Midi port, you can
>have Hexadekaphonic sound, it is sad to see that the Amiga has no such
>capability.

I beg to differ - the Amiga has tremendous MIDI capabilities - with a very
inexpensive MIDI box (as low as $30), AND A MIDI PROGRAM SUCH AS SONIX, DMCS,
DR T's, and so on, you can produce amazing results.  I had the pleasure to
listen to some music by Bach played out over a CZ-101, and it was amazing.

As for the hexadekaphonic sound, with most of the MIDI programs, you can
support AT LEAST 16 MIDI instruments, so what's the problem?

As for the gaming, the only reason the Amiga is good for gaming is the
coprocessors make graphics and sound output smooth and amazingly
crisp/true-to-life in a personal computer.

+----------------------------+--------------+--------------------------+
| John A. Dutka              | Worcester    |        jdutka@wpi.bitnet |
| WPI Box 2308               | Polytechnic  |       jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu |
| 100 Institute Rd.          | Institute    +--------------------------+
| Worcester, Ma  01609-2280  +--------------+ "Power through better    |
| (508) 792-1949             | VaNdaLs Sack |  design and engineering" |
+----------------------------+--------------+--------------------------+
|                      "Take my Worf - PLEASE!"                        |
To: to_stdnet@stag.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Bcc:

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (04/01/89)

In article <1610@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>>[...]  With it's built in Midi port, you can
>>have Hexadekaphonic sound, it is sad to see that the Amiga has no such
>>capability.
>
>I beg to differ - the Amiga has tremendous MIDI capabilities - with a very
>inexpensive MIDI box (as low as $30), AND A MIDI PROGRAM SUCH AS SONIX, DMCS,
>DR T's, and so on, you can produce amazing results.  I had the pleasure to
>listen to some music by Bach played out over a CZ-101, and it was amazing.

From what I have been told, the midi box for the Amiga is simply a cable
adapter to the Amiga's serial port.  The serial port, as I understand, is
driven by the same chip that drives the ST MIDI ports which has a clock
frequency and set-up to allow transfer rates at the 32Kbps needed for MIDI.

The biggest advantage for the ST, then, is that the MIDI is standard and you
don't have to tie-up a serial port to get it.  As a result, the ST has a
firmer grasp on the MIDI market than any of the competition in the general
purpose computer market.

Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder
walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu     ...!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!tramp!walkerb
DISCLAIMER:  The university does not know half the things I say or post and
would very much like to keep it that way.