[comp.sys.atari.st] One Final WordUp Question

terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (Eric Terrell) (03/24/89)

One more question about WordUp.  Is it possible to run out of memory
when using this product on a 520 ST to edit a large (~ 80 page) document?

Some word processors can edit documents which are larger than the
available memory by paging back and forth between memory and disk
(e.g. MS WRITE).  Is WordUp one of these?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Terrell

rjung@sal37.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (03/25/89)

In article <4073@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.UUCP (TerrellE) writes:
>Some word processors can edit documents which are larger than the
>available memory by paging back and forth between memory and disk
>(e.g. MS WRITE).  Is WordUp one of these?

  As far as I know (heaven help me, I've never bumped against the RAM limit
before), no. WordUp's document size appears to be related with how much free
RAM you have available.

  Of course, if you have 300K free, you can either store 300K characters for
one document, or work on two 150K files, or 3 100K files, or...

  Still a great program. I certainly don't use anything else. (Now if only
I can get a laser printer...)

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)
  ####  ##  ####

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) (03/31/89)

 terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (Eric Terrell) writes:

>One more question about WordUp.  Is it possible to run out of memory
>when using this product on a 520 ST to edit a large (~ 80 page) document?

>Some word processors can edit documents which are larger than the
>available memory by paging back and forth between memory and disk
>(e.g. MS WRITE).  Is WordUp one of these?

I have run into the RAM limit with WordUp.  No, it doesn't swap with
the disk in any mode I know of.

The only time that I've run out of memory was when I tried loading a lot
of fonts and opened several documents at once.  Since then, I went from
1 meg to 4.  Needless to say, I haven't had any trouble since then.  One
drawback of WordUp is that printouts take a long time since everything
is printed in graphics mode.  There is an ASCII printout option, but its
pretty crude.  I would expect that any program which used GDOS fonts in
the printout would suffer from slow printing.

Often, I still use good ole 1st Word if I don't need fancy fonts.  If I
want fonts, I use WordUp.

All in all, I highly recommend WordUp.

ron abramson

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (04/02/89)

In article <480023@hpdml93.HP.COM> rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) writes:
> [Stuff about memory limits on WordUp deleted]
>
> One
>drawback of WordUp is that printouts take a long time since everything
>is printed in graphics mode.  There is an ASCII printout option, but its
>pretty crude.  I would expect that any program which used GDOS fonts in
>the printout would suffer from slow printing.

  Have you gotten the latest upgrade for WordUp (v.1.30)? Most of the
printer drivers Neocept uses now offer a "draft" mode. On my Epson-compat
Panasonic, for instance, I go to the Control Panel, and set the printer to
Draft. When I do Graphics printouts, the GDOS driver only makes one pass
instead of the usual two. Needless to say, it's a little bit unreadable, but
good if you need speed over quality.

>All in all, I highly recommend WordUp.

  Second that motion. THIS is what Microsoft Write should have been. And at
only $80, it's almost a _steal_!