[comp.sys.atari.st] WordPerfect ST status

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (04/02/89)

BBB writes:

"Does anyone happen to know what the date of the latest WordPerfect
release is?  A few days ago someone posted a note stating, among
other things, that there was a new release of WP around the beginning
of the year.  But I just called JB Marketing (the Canadian distributor;
1-800-541-5096 if you're interested), and the latest release that they're
aware of is the August '88 one.  Thanks, BBB"

    Just hang in there.  The new release, possibly out by April 15th,
is significantly faster and has some new features.  On top of the new
features, or maybe underneathe, all *known* bugs have been exterminated.
    Unfortunately, the non-disclosure agreement prevents me from saying
anything more.  I think we can be thankful that WordPerfect's quality
control *requires* fixes and enhancements on a product which is a
financial loss (the U.S. ST market) to them.

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

35002_3025@uwovax.uwo.ca (04/02/89)

In article <890401.10452590.033065@SFA.CP6>, Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
> BBB writes:
>
> "Does anyone happen to know what the date of the latest WordPerfect
> release is?  A few days ago someone posted a note stating, among
> other things, that there was a new release of WP around the beginning
> of the year.  But I just called JB Marketing (the Canadian distributor;
> 1-800-541-5096 if you're interested), and the latest release that they're
> aware of is the August '88 one.  Thanks, BBB"
>
>     Just hang in there.  The new release, possibly out by April 15th,
> is significantly faster and has some new features.  On top of the new
> features, or maybe underneathe, all *known* bugs have been exterminated.
>     Unfortunately, the non-disclosure agreement prevents me from saying
> anything more.  I think we can be thankful that WordPerfect's quality
> control *requires* fixes and enhancements on a product which is a
> financial loss (the U.S. ST market) to them.
>
> Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

Not to mention the beating that the distributors take each time that they have
to mail out the six update disks!  I have personally received two updates
already, which have cost J&B at least $5.00 per.  Speaking of which, could you
comment on the availability of the upgrade, please Larry.  I am particularily
concerned with the fact that J&B has had some problems in the past realizing
that upgrades have been made, and also with maintaining their list of WP owners.
I take it from you reference to a non-|r~>}~?~?~?~?~?~?~-discat you were beta-
testing the product?  I also take it from the posting that you were quite
pleased with the improvements?

thanks v. much.
Kevin-john Conway
...a librarian from hell...

University of Western Ontario
London Canada
"...deviants from the norm..."

"My ideas may be silly, but I'm not.  I'm positively skewed!"

35002_3025@uwovax.uwo.ca
conway@uwovax.bitnet
kjc@uwovax.bitnet

close@cacilj.UUCP (Diane Barlow Close) (04/02/89)

>comment on the availability of the upgrade, please Larry.  I am particularily
>
>thanks v. much.
>Kevin-john Conway

I'm not Larry :-), but I did call WP a while ago to find out what was holding
up the new release (supposed to be out in January).  Some beta testers found
some more bugs, and as you already heard, the new release will be out
*hopefully* by the end of April.  WordPerfect is hoping that this will be the
*last update* for the ST until the Atari market in the U.S. "picks up".

This release is available to all registered users (of course) *who request and
update*.  Yup, that's right, they have no plans at present to automatically
upgrade everyone.  In the U.S., you can call WordPerfect (1-800-321-3271) and
get your name put on an upgrade-requested list.  Otherwise I guess you'll
just have to keep calling your distributer about the availability, and hope
that the release doesn't get pushed even further that the four months it is
already "late".

--
Diane Barlow Close
      {uunet, crash, ucsd}!cacilj!close