[comp.sys.atari.st] Good deal on Adaptec 4000A's

jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) (03/30/89)

I just ordered one of those $60.00 Adaptec 4000A controllers from
Timeline Co.  The salesman said that it was a special run of the
controllers that Adaptec made for an OEM.  He said that they are printed
A4010A on the chips but that they are really brand new 4000A's.
  Has anyone bought one of these, and is it really a 4000A?

|   Jeff Long              jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil  (ARPA net)         |
|   humble (and getting humbler by the day) graduate student;           |
|   The Air Force Institute of Techology  (what a great way of life??)  |

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (H.JOHNSON) (03/30/89)

In article <1017@afit-ab.arpa>, jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
> I just ordered one of those $60.00 Adaptec 4000A controllers from
> Timeline Co.  The salesman said that it was a special run of the
> controllers that Adaptec made for an OEM.  He said that they are printed
> A4010A on the chips but that they are really brand new 4000A's.
>   Has anyone bought one of these, and is it really a 4000A?

I bought one to expand my system.  It works great.  The only difference
is that the connectors point in different directions.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

rick@jpusa1.UUCP (Rick Mills) (03/30/89)

In article <1017@afit-ab.arpa> jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
-I just ordered one of those $60.00 Adaptec 4000A controllers from
-Timeline Co.  The salesman said that it was a special run of the
-controllers that Adaptec made for an OEM.  He said that they are printed
-A4010A on the chips but that they are really brand new 4000A's.
-  Has anyone bought one of these, and is it really a 4000A?
-
	I just got one of these a week ago (Though I haven't tried it
yet), and on one chip is printed ACB-4000A, 1985, So they can't be too new.
--
Rick Mills {gargoyle.uchicago.edu,uunet.uu.net,spl1,ddsw1}!jpusa1.uucp!rick
--

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (04/03/89)

jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
>I just ordered one of those $60.00 Adaptec 4000A controllers from
>Timeline Co.  The salesman said that it was a special run of the
>controllers that Adaptec made for an OEM.  He said that they are printed
>A4010A on the chips but that they are really brand new 4000A's.
>  Has anyone bought one of these, and is it really a 4000A?
I bought the Adaptec controller from Timeline a couple of months ago. I use it
with the Supra host adaptor and an (aging) CDC Wren I. The Wren's seek rate is
pretty dismal, but as a whole the package works fine.
I suppose it's a real 4000A. That's how I set the Supra software.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax,amdahl!bungia,chinet,killer}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"