[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Transputer Workstation

brazil@pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) (03/29/89)

Atari seems to have set a price for the ATW in the UK. The price quoted in
the present issue of Computer Shopper UK is 2,500 L, which is about $4,270
in US dollars. This price includes the monitor, 40MBy hard drive, Helios,
4Mby of RAM, 1MBy of video RAM, and a modified Mega ST motherboard. It will
be in a tower configuration.

	Developer's have had them for a few months now,and on in Canada
already has a sophisticated color photograph editing system. The systems
are Issue 4 already, and have many of the bugs worked out.

	A good description of the Helios OS is available in the April issue
of Computer Shopper, and a full spec document is available from Distributed
Software Ltd. of Bristol, England. (0454) 612777.

Facts have been indirectly confirmed to the best of their ability under
non-disclosure agreements by Atari Canada.

Timothy Onders
brazil@pawl.rpi.edu

julius@yugas.UUCP (Julius OKLAMCAK) (04/03/89)

In article <1053@rpi.edu>, brazil@pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) wrote:

>Presently, they do not expect to provide an expansion for present ST owners.
>The ATW will be in a tower configuration, with 40MBy HD, 4 MBy RAM, 1MBy
>graphics RAM, Helios, etc... The price quoted by Computer Shopper should
>have been in Pounds Sterling, rather than dollars. The actual price they
>are presently tossing around is about $4000-$5000. Actual price yet to be
>finalized.
>
> [some stuff deleted]

The last price I heard Atari U.K.  tossing about was 4000 pounds.  We
should have a better idea when developer units start shipping this
month.  I haven't seen the Computer Shopper article yet, so I won't
comment on its accuracy (yet :-).

For those following the ATW, I've been compiling and running short
X-Windows programs this last week.  Floating point is blazing fast.  So
far I am pleased with this interesting machine.  And it certainly has
quite a bit of potential.

>All information has been reasonably varified by a highly placed souce in
>Atari Canada.

Gee, I wonder who that could be.  :-)
--
Julius Oklamcak					All views are my own.
Atari (Canada) Corp.				"That is currently a docu-