[comp.sys.atari.st] Microsoft Write on the Atari ST

julius@yugas.UUCP (Julius OKLAMCAK) (04/03/89)

In article <1419@atari.UUCP> my good friend :-) kbad@atari.UUCP wrote:

>In article <446@electro.UUCP> ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:
>
> [writings deleted]
>
>  I admit, I must sound like I'm gushing, or "holding the company line,"
>but I'm only defending Write because I think it deserves it.  It's
>highly underrated, because of the difficulty of installing GDOS (the GDOS
>installation manual leaves a *lot* to be desired) and because of the
>learning curve.  Sure, it isn't bug free, but it's certainly at least as
>robust as any other WP available for the ST, and it's more powerful
>than most.

I use only Microsoft Write for all of my wordprocessing needs.  All the
girls here at the office also use Write for their (and their boss'es)
needs.  It has a certain `feel' that no other wordprocessor has that I
just can't get along without.  Moving text around, font support, the user
interface, tabs, glossary, and other features do truly make it an
excellent mid- to high-end product on the ST.

Most of the problems that people run into is due to the way Write was
originally implemented as Word 1.05 on the Mac.  If you run it off of
floppies, keep the program *and* document files on one disk..and don't
take the program disk out!  Flame MS on their design...after all,
MessyDOS and half an OS are also their's.  :-)

[BTW, I know a CompSci student who is quite anxious to work on fixing
MS Write bugs.  He has had work terms at Microsoft and would like to
work on ST's during his next work term there...]
--
Julius Oklamcak					All views are my own.
Atari (Canada) Corp.				"That is currently a docu-