[comp.sys.atari.st] ANTIC

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (03/29/89)

Hello everyone,

    Just being curious, does anyone know of the significance of the word
"ANTIC" when dealing with computers, specifically Atari?

 LARRY RYMAL <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (03/29/89)

ANTIC is a chip found in the Atari 8-bit computer.  It handles graphics
for the computer so the main processor (the 6502) doesn't have to.
Not quite like the blitter (which just moves block memory around) chip
found on the ST's, the Antic chip produces the screen display itself
(using the display list, a miniature program that tells Antic how the
display is to be 'drawn').  If the Antic chip is disabled (by stuffing
a 0 in memory location 559), processing speed is increased roughly
30%...

  Albert Yarusso

  Bitnet:  ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet
  Internet:  ajy2208.ritcv.rit.edu

champagn@hpspkla.HP.COM (Robert R. Champagne) (03/30/89)

>     Just being curious, does anyone know of the significance of the word
> "ANTIC" when dealing with computers, specifically Atari?

	The Atari 8-bit has a "co-processor" known as the ANTIC chip, which
is the heart of it's display system. It has it's own (limited) instruction
set (commonly known as a "display list"), can "steal" cycles from the
6502 at odd intervals (read: DMA), and has a provision for generating what
are now known as "sprites" (termed "player/missles" for this machine).

ron@gsbmva.uchicago.edu (Ronald J. Rangel) (03/30/89)

ANTIC was the video chip in the 8-bit Atari computers.  There
was another chip called Pokey as well (it was the sound chip.)

	      Ron

PS: I still have the 8bit operating system source code if anyone wants
    it.

rjd@brunix (Rob Demillo) (03/30/89)

In article <890328.23104678.028665@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
>    Just being curious, does anyone know of the significance of the word
>"ANTIC" when dealing with computers, specifically Atari?

It was the name of a patented chip on the old Atari 8 bit line...

 - Rob DeMillo			| UUCP:   ...ima!brunix!rjd
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-863-3769
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (03/31/89)

In article <890328.23104678.028665@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

>    Just being curious, does anyone know of the significance of the word
>"ANTIC" when dealing with computers, specifically Atari?

"Antic" has multiple meanings.

The Atari 400 and 800 computers, in addition to the 6502 processor,
contained a couple of custom chips to do the player/missile graphics,
handle the keyboard/joysticks etc.  The chip that handled the
display (executed the display-list code) was named "Antic" (and the
multifunction/keyboard chip was named "Pokey").

An Atari-specific magazine was eventually published, and took the name
"Antic", presumably after the Atari graphics chip.  This magazine is
still published by Antic Publishing in San Francisco, CA.

Currently, Antic Publishing has extended their software publishing
realm to include the Commodore Amiga, so they are no longer
"Atari-specific".

In summary then, "Antic" is 1) An Atari custom graphics-controller chip
			    2) An Atari-specific computer magazine
			    3) A computer software publishing company.

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now, or don't complain!

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
------------------
There is only one "r" in "pejorative"
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.
(And the author wouldn't have it any other way.)

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (03/31/89)

In article <890328.23104678.028665@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
>Hello everyone,
>
>    Just being curious, does anyone know of the significance of the word
>"ANTIC" when dealing with computers, specifically Atari?

I beleive that ANTIC was the name of the chip in the 8-bit Atari computer that
handled hardware sprites (player-missile graphics). I suppose it might be
ANimation something or another. I think there was also one called POKEY lurking
around in there as well.

The game consoles have chips in them called TIA and MARIA!

> LARRY RYMAL <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

/ DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own \
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs             !
! Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk             !
! Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil      !
! Edinburgh                                                                   !
! Scotland                                                                    !
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp (SYLVIA JUMAGA) (04/01/89)

LR> Just being curious, does anyone know of the significance of the
LR> word "ANTIC" when dealing with computers, specifically Atari?

Hi Larry,

     ANTIC is a chip found in Atari 8-bit computers.  It controls the
screen and input/output ports on them...  (I've owned various Atari
8-bit computers for a couple of years before my 520STfm here, so that's
why I was aware of the ANTIC chip.)

"The visible creates a work in form- The invisible defines its worth"

'Till later,
-Sylvia Jumaga...

 * QNet 1.03a2: Bert's Bulletin Board. Brandon, Man.

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!canremote!sylvia.jumaga

sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp (SYLVIA JUMAGA) (04/01/89)

LR> Just being curious, does anyone know of the significance of the
LR> word "ANTIC" when dealing with computers, specifically Atari?

Hi Larry,

     ANTIC is a chip found in Atari 8-bit computers.  It controls the
screen and input/output ports on them...  (I've owned various Atari
8-bit computers for a couple of years before my 520STfm here, so that's
why I was aware of the ANTIC chip.)

"The visible creates a work in form- The invisible defines its worth"

'Till later,
-Sylvia Jumaga...

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!canremote!sylvia.jumaga

elixir@m-net.UUCP (Rodney Fulk) (04/02/89)

The Antic chip is the Graphic workhorse in the 8bit atari..

shawn.smith@canremote.uucp (SHAWN SMITH) (04/03/89)

As I recall from long ago, the Antic Chip was the name of the graphics
co-processor chip in the Atari 8-bit line. There is also a major 8-bit
magazine by that name.
---
 * Via ProDoor 2.9a

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: shawn.smith@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!canremote!shawn.smith

sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp (SYLVIA JUMAGA) (04/03/89)

RE: ANITC AND OTHER CHIPS

The custom chips in an ATARI 8-bit are as follows:

GTIA chip- Graphics display
POKEY chip- Sound generator and control
ANTIC chip- Screen and input/output ports
FREDDY chip- Memory system control

(This information found in my ATARI 130XE Owner's Manual)

'Till later,
-Sylvia Jumaga...

MINET- 7337M09

"The visible creates a work in form-