[comp.sys.atari.st] Advertising

rjung@sal3.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/24/88)

In article <88032219051620D.AFQC@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU> Consult@UMass.BITNET writes:
>...that [Mac] sales really started
>to jump.  I was selling macs at that time.  The Key: advertising!

  Didn't Uncle Jack say so himself relatively recently? I could'a sworn I read
somewhere that the man said (I think it was _Atari Explorer) "In America,
people want what their neighbors have. In Europe, people want the best deal"
(In regards to ST popularity in Europe and not America).

>This is an example, perhaps not the best one, of Atari's mistakes in
>advestising.  If they correct this kind of thing their sales could only
>go up.

  I doubt Atari doesn't know already the power of ads in computer sales. Who
can forget all those Commodore 64 ads when Jack was there? What about the kid
who went to college without a C-64 and came back an oiverweight dropout?
Sure, it was implausable, but YOU REMEMBERED it.

  The fact that atari isn't advertising a lot in America right now is probably
*not* due to "ignorance", but of circumstance...In this light, the official
excuse (is that word too harsh?) that Atari Corp. is just waiting for more
ST's to become avaliable may be plausible (advertising without stock is a waste
of money, you must admit)...

>The other problem atari has is more basic: support.  The atari support is
>pretty lame right now.  As an example, I wrote a letter to Allan Pratt
>with some questions, and although I know he's a busy guy, I thought he
>might at least respond.  I guess, (I'll take that back) that that is asking
>too much.  Granted.  Ok, but how about some books on the ST?

  Alan Pratt's non-replyance can't really be a barometer of anything (I think).
How much technical expertise does the Atari customer service line give? As
for books, that is *so* true...But who would write them?

  (Hey, maybe Atari will just compile all of the net.messages here, and put
that into a book! Now *there's* an idea...  B-)

>The clock is running...

  For 2 1/2 years, it ain't that bad.

						--R.J.
						B-)
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (01/19/89)

Peter da Silva writes:

>Atari has done a very good job advertising the ST, with much more
>frequent and affective advertising than commodore.

What country do you live in?

I was getting sick of this guy bashing the Atari (please stop), and am
shocked that the only thing good to say about it is on its ads which is
the worst thing about it (especially compared to commodore)!

I have seen many ads on TV for the Amiga, and they are pretty good, they
emphasize graphics and multitasking.  They even have a toll free number
to call for a demo of the computer.  This ad has been shown during prime
time, and sporting events.  I have seen it probably about 10 times.  I
have seen about five ads for the Atari (games machines) and they were
pretty good, but we I haven't seen any for the ST, NONE!  I don't even
remember seeing any ads for the ST in any magazine (although I don't
think I have seen any amiga ads in the Mags either).

Maybe it depends on what part of the country you are from, but more
people know about the amiga than the ST, and the numbers of both of
those groups are very small.

Aric Friesen

Addresses:

Genie:  A.FRIESEN

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (01/21/89)

For the record, in 1986 Atari took out some major color two page ads
in TIME magazine (I wish they would do it again!)

Also, since November Atari has been advertsing the ST every week in
the New York Times and the results have been very impressive.  Where
there used to be only one dealer advertising and selling the ST there
are now FIVE, and two of them now run their own ST ads on a regular
basis.  The dealer I bought my Mega 2 from says that the machines are
flying out the door and he has been getting very steady shipments
that include every item he asks for - and that hasn't happened in years!

Peter Szymonik

abc@cs.purdue.EDU (Alan B. Chan) (04/01/89)

Guess what I saw tonight at 11:50pm EST during Nightline? Low and
behold I saw an ad from Atari for the Mega 4, monitor, and SLM804
laser printer. All of which cost less than the Apple Laserwriter NTX,
or some laser from IBM. Anyway, it went on to boast some features.
I was wondering if anyone else has seen this ad. It's great to see
Atari finally advertising, but there was one thing that bothered me.
Maybe I was alseep or something, but I could have sworn I heard the ad
say that the SLM804 was PostScript compatible???? That's pushing it
isn't it( assuming I heard correctly)? Is Ultrascript that compatible
that you could print postscript files on the Atari Laser? More
importantly has anyone seen this ad, too? If so did this seem kind of
odd? If you haven't seen it, look out for it and watch for where they
talk about the Atari printer vs postscript printers.

Alan Chan
chanab@en.ecn.purdue.edu
abc@arthur.cs.purdue.edu

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (04/02/89)

In article <6360@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> abc@arthur.cs.purdue.edu (Alan B. Chan) writes:
|[...] It's great to see
|Atari finally advertising, but there was one thing that bothered me.
|Maybe I was alseep or something, but I could have sworn I heard the ad
|say that the SLM804 was PostScript compatible????

  The new SLM804-PCV which bundles the SLM804 and UltraScript is indeed
PostScript compatible.  In fact, we've had a lot of fun around here
lately downloading PS files from various places and printing them out on
the Atari laser.  There are a lot of really interesting PostScript demos
out there!  The output from UltraScript is really beautiful, too.

  Nope, you weren't asleep when you saw that ad!

--
 Ken Badertscher                 | #include <disclaimer>
 Atari R&D                       | No pith, just a path:

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (04/03/89)

In article <6360@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> abc@arthur.cs.purdue.edu (Alan B. Chan) writes:
>Maybe I was alseep or something, but I could have sworn I heard the ad
>say that the SLM804 was PostScript compatible???? That's pushing it
>isn't it( assuming I heard correctly)? Is Ultrascript that compatible

It's true, I've seen it and seen actual weird PostScript files put through
on it.  For $1295(US) you get just the basic laser printer, for an extra
$200(US) you get full PostScript compatiability.

Now, if that's true, get a Spectre 128 by Small the genius, and you have
a faster-than-Mac Mac capable of using SCSI, all Mac software, at less
than a third of the price.  It's even cheaper than Apple's hefty
HEPP II discount we get here at school.

Wow.

--
         "If I cannot create it, I do not understand it"
                                        -Richard Feynman

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (04/03/89)

abc@cs.purdue.EDU (Alan B. Chan) writes:

>Guess what I saw tonight at 11:50pm EST during Nightline? Low and
>behold I saw an ad from Atari for the Mega 4, monitor, and SLM804
>laser printer. All of which cost less than the Apple Laserwriter NTX,
>or some laser from IBM. Anyway, it went on to boast some features.
>I was wondering if anyone else has seen this ad. It's great to see
>Atari finally advertising, but there was one thing that bothered me.
>Maybe I was alseep or something, but I could have sworn I heard the ad
>say that the SLM804 was PostScript compatible???? That's pushing it
>isn't it( assuming I heard correctly)? Is Ultrascript that compatible
>that you could print postscript files on the Atari Laser? More
>importantly has anyone seen this ad, too? If so did this seem kind of
>odd? If you haven't seen it, look out for it and watch for where they
>talk about the Atari printer vs postscript printers.
>

>Alan Chan
>chanab@en.ecn.purdue.edu
>abc@arthur.cs.purdue.edu

Atari currently is running quarter-page ads in both Minneapolis-St.Paul papers
alternating between the publishing package (Mega, SLM804, Timeworks) and the
reduced-price 520 and 1040. It's nice to see some promotion even if it does
seem at least two years later than it should have appeared.

I downloaded an interesting review of the Ultrascript/SLM804 package from
Delphi the other night. (I'd post it, but it has a copyright notice and no
release.) According to the reviewer, the Ultrascript package is VERY
compatible with PostScript, with the added attraction of being a whole bunch
faster than a stand-alone PS printer, such as the Apple Laserwriter. The
reviewer mentioned that there is one incompatibility with Apple's Laser Prep
file, which is downloaded from the Macintosh automatically when you print a
file. However, most PostScript applications seem to provide their own prep
files these days (Pagemaker's Aldus Prep file was mentioned specifically), and
they work just fine.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax,amdahl!bungia,chinet,killer}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -----------
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (04/04/89)

In article <6360@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> abc@arthur.cs.purdue.edu (Alan B. Chan) writes:
> I heard the ad
> say that the SLM804 was PostScript compatible?
> Is Ultrascript that compatible
> that you could print postscript files on the Atari Laser?

Yes.  I got a vanilla PostScript file from far away (Gene Spafford at GA
Tech, maybe) and printed it fine.

	Mega + Ultrascript + SLM804 = Postscript printer
					("...plus a whole lot more.")

You can even write a driver which would take input from the serial or
parallel port and print it on the laser, put the whole works in one box,
and call it a dedicated Postscript laser printer!  No monitor required!